Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS My new website is finally up…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    treyrust

it validates now.

TheDoc

As other people have mentioned, please keep in mind that we are trying to be constructive…

The site needs a lot of work. You should always strive for unique, but as it is the site lacks solid design, typography and content.

Unless you are using Comic Sans in a sarcastic way, that is a major red flag. Try looking at other peoples’ portfolios and seeing what is so successful about them and what makes them not work.

For the most part, I feel like I would suggest for you to start over again from scratch because as the site stands right now, I can’t particularly offer you much advice!

The HTML looks pretty clean, but it’s the artistic component that really needs some work.

Keep on working on it and you’ll keep on getting comments. Don’t give up!

ccc630

@treyrust, the site is just too casual for a web design portfolio. For some other applications, it would be great.

In terms of what to say, keep it businesslike and explain why you are worth $75/hour. What specific skills do you have, in what areas are you an expert, and what value-added services do you offer to differentiate yourself from the 14.3 billion other web designers out there?

treyrust

I’ve decided to restart from scratch, I’ll let you guys know when I’m done.

treyrust

All right, The new version is up: http://treyrust.com/ please let me know what you think.

Trey.

TT_Mark

Your code structure itself is really good, it’s nice and readable and makes perfect sense (not sure about the paragraphs inside lists though)

However there are some fundamental errors like not changing the mouse cursor to a pointer when hovering over the menu items

Also I just don’t believe you. If you’re going to say you have HTML5 experience and can use CSS3 and all that jazz then use it! Just text-shadowing everything is not good use of CSS3. You’re using an HTML Transitional DocType….why?

Brightonmike

I agree with TT_Mark. It’s useless when web designers say they can do this and that, when their own portfolios are out of date, badly designed and badly coded.

For me, this one sucks quite a lot because it’s just so unattractive to look at. It’s not appealing, it’s not engaging, you load it up and it’s just all this bright blue and uppercase typography. The end result just looks lazy and too casual.

I’d start again. Sorry I couldn’t be more positive.

treyrust

well. I’ve narrowed it down to me being a lazy ass…. because you guys haven’t said anything that hasn’t already popped into my head. I’m just trying to make a cruddy site passable by asking you guys to see if you notice it too. otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even posted it here

I’m gonna go and make a mockup. and keep scrapping it until I am happy. then I’ll come back.

Trey.

TT_Mark

Good plan. No point rushing these things

treyrust

I’m almost done with it, but I’d like to get Y’alls input before I finish it.

I could just really use some outside opinion, since I’ve been starring at this design for weeks, So I can’t tell if it’s just lost it’s luster, Or I just can’t see it anymore.

http://bit.ly/kr9aXE

Trey.

EDIT: And none of the text is final. Obviously :p

treyrust

And It’s only using two images, one for the texture and one for the background image. The rest is CSS3. So now that I’ve had some time to play with it, I’m really impressed with CSS3.

Vasko

Hello, In my modest opinion the colors you have used in your latest design (the one you have posted a picture about) kinda remind me of the high contrast theme for windows.
    I know it’s a matter of opinion, but you could use softer colors that flow better with one another. You seem to like using the colors from the default palette of MS Paint which is not always a good idea. Again, its a matter of opinion. Otherwise roundend corner boxes and stuff from CSS3 looks nice enough.

chrisburton
    Participant

The background clashes with the content as the colors do not match well. Play with the background a little?

Waffle

On the navigation on the side, make sure you set a cursor or change them to a hyperlink because when hovering over them, its sometimes confusing as to what they are, I wasn’t actually gonna click them because there was no cursor, it’s instinct to know that a button has a click cursor or a cursor change, so.. change that :)

Waffle

And another thing I must add, Taking a look at your code, I admire how much of a clean coder you are. Looks very clean and well layed out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.