Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Who here uses a mechanical keyboard?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

That’s my #2 choice! I’d probably go sans 10 key though. In many ways, I like the wasd more. But… I love the form factor of the HHKB. That and I can’t decide on which Cherry MX switch to get.

You should get a wasd.

Have you checked out r/mechanicalkeyboards?

__
    Participant

I’d probably go for the Brown ones. But I’m not going to (at least, not until I have extra $$ for a dream machine to go with it).

r/mechanicalkeyboards seems to be a bust (“nothing found”)?

nixnerd
    Participant

http://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards

I have extra $$ for a dream machine to go with it

I think I care more about a keyboard than I do say… an SSD. I know that sounds crazy but since I physically interact with the keyboard, it matters much more to me. Plus, I want something portable, so I can start going to meet-ups and hopefully DEFCON!!! That said… I really want an SSD on my setup too.

I’d probably go with green switches from what I know. I think the clickiness would be cool… for like an hour. Then I’d go insane. The Topres in my opinion have a VERY satisfying “thock” to them. They sound the closest to the Model M in my opinion.

__
    Participant

http://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards

hmm… I must have mistyped it.

I think I care more about a keyboard than I do say… an SSD. I know that sounds crazy but since I physically interact with the keyboard, it matters much more to me. Plus, I want something portable, so I can start going to meet-ups and hopefully DEFCON!!! That said… I really want an SSD on my setup too.

I know what you mean, and I certainly agree that having a KB you like is critical. Having said that, however, I’ve never had a KB that cost more than $50 (and that one came with a pretty nice mouse and wireless transceiver).

For portability, I usually stick with the laptop KB. I have this (mainly for my tablet), however, and I love it:

logitech bluetooth tablet keyboard

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t disagree that is a sexy looking keyboard. No question about that. I think that the chiclet style just isn’t working for me anymore. (I have a chiclet on my lappy).

__
    Participant

Nah, I understand. But what bothers me most about laptop KBs is that they’re on a laptop. This is much better. But I wouldn’t use it as a primary keyboard.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve noticed I have a tendency to pound keys and bottom out a lot. I need a key switch that will make that harder.

That’s a sick tablet keyboard though. Much better than that laser garbage I see people use.

Alen
    Participant

@Joe_Temp, Joe how is the mechanical experience? I’m looking to get something soon as well, just trying to make sense about what is out there…

nixnerd
    Participant

@alenabdula. I ended up getting the KB I wanted: The HHKB2. I’m quite happy with it, though it’s not for everyone. A TON of info can be founds on /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I highly recommend you go there and look around.

As far as what’s out there… pretty much anything you want dude. It’s almost daunting. A lot of people suggest starting with Cherry mx switches. I started with a Topre switches and I’m happy. Just depends on what you want.

Alen
    Participant

@Joe_Temp

Ended up getting WASD V2.

Alen
    Participant

@traq def fun to use

And if anyone is wondering I got the Cherry MX Clear, no dampers.

nixnerd
    Participant

@alenabdula Nice! The WASD KBs were a front-runner for me for a long time. I liked that they were available in clears and that you could completely customize the keycaps from the start. Topre keycaps are incredibly hard to come by (which would be my one complaint about mine). WASD boards seem to be dead solid and a pretty good value to boot. They’re so good, that a company called Kul seems to have used most of their tenkeyless design:

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cc_bbb_al

Like I said, I ended up going with the HHKB. Here she is:

I plan on getting the black blank keycaps when I have an extra $80. I dig the Stormtrooper look on these boards.

As far as Das boards go… I like them but I don’t know how I feel about the gigantic bezel around them. Also… they seem to have more keys and doodads than I need. The analog volume knob is cool I guess… but my sxhkd shortcut is faster :)

P.S. @traq has the ability to make the das much cooler than it is now. He knows what I’m talking about.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.