Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Who here uses a mechanical keyboard?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I want to hook up a desktop soon. I’ve been coding on laptops for years but now I’m ready for the big leagues. I’m actually getting one of the cheapest PC’s I can find because my system requirements are VERY low. Hell, I might just use a Wii.

What I care more about are my display and my keyboard. Those are the big ones for me. I need a BIG, high res monitor and a VERY satisfying and tactile keyboard.

I started looking into mechanical keyboards and… suffice it to say I’m REALLY interested. I saw the CODE Keyboard that Jeff Atwood designed with WASD.

Who uses a mechanical keyboard? Why? Do you love it?

__
    Participant

What I have now is a logitech K520. It’s “not” a mechanical keyboard, but the keys have a mechanical feel to them. Keystrokes have that clicky feel, you hear it but it’s not too loud, and very smooth action. Plus my dog tried to eat it and it still works.* It’s honestly my favorite keyboard of all time (and the mouse (M310) that came with it is also very nice). I didn’t shop for this by looking at features or specs, however. I actually went out to various stores and shops and did a lot of typing.

* the x key is missing (well …we know where it is), which was actually the biggest part of the problem because my login at the time had an “x” in it. But I re-appropriated the - key from the numeric pad, which I never use anyway, and it’s all good now. Stop laughing.

Before getting too “low-end” a system, I’d definitely suggest looking for multiple monitor support (or plan on adding another card). I prefer two midsize monitors (24″) to a single large one.

nixnerd
    Participant

That is all quite hilarious.

I’m a really, really tactile person and I’m a huge stickler for quality. For example, I wear boots on occasion, as I live in Colorado. There is only 1 brand of boots I will wear: Danner. Expensive? Si Senor. Best boot ever? Also yes. Will they ever totally wear out? Not likely in my lifetime.

I’m sure your Logitech great! I’m a little concerned with longevity though. I want to get to know a keyboard and keep it with me for a long, long time. Possibly decades.

Also, I love that I can make better use of shortcuts by being able to register 6 keys at once.

Also… custom keycaps? Hell yeah! As you may remember, I’m learning Vim. I’m thinking… rubberized or colored keycaps for my HJKL keys.

Also, I LOVE that each key is individually back-lit with its own LED. That’s awesome.

I don’t know man… something about these bad boys is speaking to me.

As far as the system… I would probably opt for dual monitor support. However, now that I roll with a tiling WM, I feel like screen real estate goes a lot further. 2 monitors is always better though. Even if one is just a full screen terminal… still helpful.

I only have a 14 inch screen at the moment if you can believe that. If I had a 24″ and still ran BSPWM… WOW, I’d have a hard time filling 1 monitor up. That would still include a huge Conky display.

nixnerd
    Participant

Also, I’m trying to phase out mouse use as much as possible. ESPECIALLY in text editing.

Therefore, I want the nicest experience that is humanly possible since my keys will be my new mouse.

nixnerd
    Participant

One more thing: No more forced “Super key.” I’m so tired of the look of that thing. I could probably get a custom 3D printed Arch key to go there. If I didn’t want to go that route, WASD makes keys with flames, guns, stars, tux the penguin, etc.

__
    Participant

Dunno how long this KB will last. It’s been about 2½ years so far; no problems at all. I understand the desire, though. I doubt this will last decades.

I couldn’t handle being stuck on a 14″ screen. I have an old 14″ that I use as a second monitor for my laptop at meetups, code marathons, etc., but even as a second screen it feels cramped. And I get almost panicky trying to do anything more than web/terminal on my netbook screen (10″).

nixnerd
    Participant

I couldn’t handle being stuck on a 14″ screen.

Neither can I anymore. I mean… I’ve worked on laptops for years but now, I’m using so much stuff at once that even with a tiling WM, I’m running out of space.

I generally have my text editor open, maybe even have that broken into a few panes, which means the window needs to be bigger because I don’t want and absurdly small work area. I could go with tabs but sometimes I need to SEE code from two different files. Then, I ALWAYS have at least 3 terminals going. One for git commands, one for Compass, and one to connect to my remote server. Then, there’s obviously a browser to work in if I’m doing web work. Then, there’s the file manager so I can browse files a little more efficiently than in the terminal. Although, I’ve been playing around with Ranger and it’s nice.

So basically, I’m maxed out on screen real estate. I could see myself getting two 20″+ monitors so I can feel a little more relaxed.

Besides, once I get my BBB project up and running, I’m going to need to use Tmux or some kind of cluster SSH application to perform maintenance on a lot of machines at once. That’s why I’m shopping for setup gear.

Anyway, I just REALLY love the sound of mechanical keyboards. Watch the video and listen to this:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/typing-stealth-a-review-of-the-code-keyboard/

The Cherry MX Blues are like music to my ears.

nixnerd
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

@JoshWhite, I love that you love your k750. I however am quitting chiclet keyboards forever.

I want something far more substantial in terms of tactile feel and weight/build construction. I’m tired of bottoming out keys. Plus… look closely. Did you see the placement of that Ctrl key? That sir, is a *Nix lover’s dream. Sure I could re-map my keyboard to use Caps Lock as my Ctrl… but this just feels right.

Plus the form factor on the HHKBP2 is amazing. Look at Youtube videos on how small that thing is. And…

Topre switches… creme de la creme sir.

Some people think it’s crazy to spend that kind of money on a keyboard but I type all day everyday. Might as well make it awesome!

Just for fun, here is Richard Stallman typing on an HHKBP2:

nixnerd
    Participant

Also,
    I’m trying to use my mouse as little as possible these days. I’m using shortcuts for everything I can. Therefore, I need a nice keyboard with a small form factor like this so I can do everything without leaving home row.

I’ve been trying to revamp my workflow for MONTHS and things have slowly been improving due to small changes like this.

I think the biggest change will come when I get a proper desktop setup with dual monitors.

Also, what do you guys thing about blank keycaps? I am by an large a touch-typist. However, there are a few keys I always cheat on. Being able to see my keys has only aided in this cheating. I’m thinking a blank keyboard is what I need. Plus, what’s more esoteric than that? Go ahead, try to use my computer. But… you better be a good typist!

__
    Participant

Also, what do you guys thing about blank keycaps? …I’m thinking a blank keyboard is what I need.

Sure. A backlit blank keyboard. And, dvorak.

I saw a mechanical keyboard once that had individual LCDs on each key. You could set it up any way you liked.

Did you see the placement of that Ctrl key? That sir, is a *Nix lover’s dream.

Yeah, that’s cool and all, but… where are the play/pause/volume/internet keys?

» ducks «

nixnerd
    Participant

Those are embedded for form factor. Also… I decided against backlit. Why add one more temptation to cheat. Dvorak is bunk.

I for some reason like things that force me to learn in painful ways… Like getting locked out of my own computer because I can’t read the keys.

__
    Participant

I for some reason like things that force me to learn in painful ways

ultimate coding keyboard

nixnerd
    Participant

HA HA HA HA HA! How long have you had that just waiting to drop it on someone?

__
    Participant

Seen these guys?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.