Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What kind of Degree did you get in Web Dev?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    MrBrightside
    Participant

Hey guys I’m looking of going into doing web development. I noticed the ones I looked at where Associate degrees and I wondered, what’s a good level of education for a Web Developer to get? What did you guys get? So please do share your wonderful insites because I would love to have them.

Thanks,

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you’ll find a lot of people (myself included) are self taught. :)

+1 Self taught.

MrBrightside
    Participant

I’ve taught myself web development to a pretty big degree. I don’t want to waste my time and money on a degree if it’s like “this is what HTML is…” but I also don’t want to be like “don’t worry I may not have a degree but I’m really good!” So what are some good degrees to get that would supplement my knowledge or make me more valuable?

but anyway I want more people’s comments.

Senff
    Participant

I have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, but that has nothing to do with my web development skills (self-taught as well).

I guess the value of it (in fact ANY bachelor’s degree) would be for an employer hiring you; it just says that you’re smart enough in general, so to speak.

Not that it guarantees anything, but put it like this: if there’s two guys who apply for the same web development job, one is a high-school dropout and the other one has a bachelor’s degree in economics, the one with the degree has better chances to be invited for an interview. Even though the dropout may actually have better development skills. So in a way, it just makes for some impression.

But it’s not the be-all-end-all. If the dropout writes a better application letter than the bachelor, then THAT might get the dropout a foot in the door.

All in all, the degree is just one of the (many) factors.

TheDoc

+1 self taught.

I think you’ll find that the majority of courses are behind the times. If you want to learn, there are plenty of up-to-date online resources.

karlpcrowley
    Participant

Self thought
    Most places want minimum of two years experience but nobody will give me the experience so I can’t quit my day job just yet :(

karlpcrowley
    Participant

Don’t know if I should have “I help people on the internet” on my CV haha
    I have been applying anyway ;)

snapsize

I took a multi-media course that taught basic html, css and php but from there it’s mostly self taught, tutorials and forums. The portfolio is key though.

Brightonmike

I have an IED-accredited degree in Product Design. Not directly web related, but being a design degree it gave me a lot of the grounding I needed. Plus, in it’s own right, it is a fantastic degree that could lead to other things.

sliver37

Another self taught here.

The best way to learn is follow the pro’s: Read their blog, watch/read their tutorials, and if possible attend their conferences.

I have degree’s but they’re useless at this point (no employer has even asked) I had a blog post up on my thoughts on education systems, the gist of it has already been mentioned. Unless it’s a well-known place for this type of media it’s highly likely you will be learning old techniques that may or may not be of much use these days.

The only upsides I see to it are:

• You will hopefully meet some other designers and form a few allies.
    • Employers may take it into account, possibly helping you become employed.

tobeeornot

Do people think it is worth doing a graphic design course to strengthen skills for front-end work or simply keep developing over time?

If so, can anyone recommend any courses, whether they be online or not?

hero

@tobeeornot

As an educator and web applications developer at the same college…. no. That should tell ya something ;) Both colleges and conferences are behind the times. I have been to dev connections, and some design usability courses. You’re best bet is to become self taught.

Mottie

Self taught here as well :P

mcguiver178

self taught, am going for graphic design and marketing instead of computer science

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.