Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other specific css for different versions of Chrome

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    typo_78
    Participant

according to this article, I can use the following css rule in order to specify different code for different versions of Chrome browsers.

.chromexx – Chrome xx (change xx with number of specific version) new

At this point, I was wondering, is this a bad approach?

/* working in Chrome including v45 */
    @media screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio:0) { 
        .logotext-n {
          color: #f1ecd6;    
          font-family: 'timesbi';
          font-weight: normal;
          font-size: 180px;
          text-transform: lowercase;
          letter-spacing: -15.5px;
          .chrome45.margin-left: -10px; /* update for Chrome 45 issue */
              } 
    }

or should I create another css property like this:

/* working in Chrome v45 */
      .chrome45.logotext-n {
      margin-left: -10px; /* update for Chrome 45 issue */
          } 
    }

/* working in Chrome before v45 */
      logotext-n {
          } 
    }

In both examples, the code is working and I prefere the first version in order to avoid making another set of css but is that a good approach of using this css rule? Thanks

typo_78
    Participant

One thing is for sure, unfortunately, Chrome v45 have some issues when it comes to WordPress (I’ve read these days different stories). It could be a bug although I’ve not received a confirmation yet.

In other words, I didn’t find what cause the problem but I am trying to manage the situation in order to keep the elements together, like it whould be, using preferential css’s. I know that this is not the best solution, the best will be a new updated Chrome version :) until then, it will great to find the best approach to solve this (code version 1, 2 or …)

typo_78
    Participant

Update: I’ve tried the above codes (my bad) on an earlier version of Chrome (v43) and I thought that it’s a good idea to implement a specific hack only for v45 the version that produce the issue described here; Unfortunately, none of the above described in the first post will not work in v45 …

Thank you but I’m zero in js and coding in general; I’m just trying to put things together and somethimes are working :P nyway. I’ll have a look.

typo_78
    Participant

Thank you very much.
    So, as far as I understand, in the end will be:

function getChromeVersion () {     
        var element = document.querySelectorAll(.logotext-n)[0];

if (getChromeVersion() == 45) element.style.marginLeft = -10 + 'px'
    }

saved as .js file?
    Is there any possibility to define multiple selectors (.logotext-n, .logotext-e, .logotext-u…, .logotext-d)?

typo_78
    Participant

oh sorry, I didn’t see your codepen :) Thanks, I’ll try that.

LE: I don’t think that a common class is a good idea, because we have different property values there :)

For example .logotext-n {letter-spacing: -15.5px;}, .logotext-e {letter-spacing: -13.2px;} and so on …

typo_78
    Participant

In this particular case, letter-spacing: value is variable on every classes; On the other hand, in older versions of Chrome (except the last stable v45) the logotext css works fine without margin-left: -10px; if that was the question.

Senff
    Participant
    typo_78
    Participant

@Senff because the plugin fix the wp admin menu problem in v45 (I just tried that solution) not the described issue :)

@Shikkediel
    , thank you for your effort, I’ll try that

Senff
    Participant

because the plugin fix the wp admin menu problem in v45 (I just tried that solution) not the described issue :)

My mistake, I was under the impression that was what you were trying to fix!

typo_78
    Participant

@Shikkediel I don’t thik that I understand clearly how can I convert this http://codepen.io/anon/pen/KdVMag to this http://codepen.io/anon/pen/dYYyGa; Could you be so kind and show me on my codepen example please? Thanks.

(I’ve tried this code http://codepen.io/anon/pen/ojbLZP but I can’t see how can I implement your solution);

typo_78
    Participant

I really appreciate it, I’ll try that and come back with a feed-back.

typo_78
    Participant

important update:

A New Version (45.0.2454.93 m) of Chrome was released; the good news is that the above described bug was fixed :)

Thank you anyway @Shikkediel for your support, your workaround will be usefull in other conditions for sure.
    Kind regards,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.