Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS New Site Feedback Please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Andy Howells
    Participant

@chrisburton – Regarding the buttons? How come? It’s kind of like when hovering they come out towards the mouse and then when clicking (active) they get depressed in and the text goes into the button (reverses the text shadow).

For the opacity, there’s no opacity going on for the content, only things that are slightly transparent is the slide show imagery and the icons – everything else is non transparent. It’s intentional for those as I want the content to be at the forefront and where the icons are concerned just be simple visual indicators that don’t command much attention.

Can you point out which bits are “randomly” transparent for me if any aside from those?

Andy Howells
    Participant

@jurotek – Hmm, appreciate the input but the break up is intentional to state cleanly what the page is all about in large type, then stop, then follow up with the content. I tried without originally and it feels like it’s missing something to me.

I wanted to more cleanly break between the title and the sub header and to fix the sidebar as it feels like it’s floating otherwise.

[Screenshot](http://d.pr/i/G8nD)

Andy Howells
    Participant

What do you guys feel about the internal pages? Images to break up the content or are they okay without?

chrisburton
    Participant
    Andy Howells
    Participant

@chrisburton – I see what you mean, those bits are meant to be a bit faded, though the top nav should be solid now, as I got rid of the opacity on the list items due to previous feedback.

Do you feel that the icons & slides should be opaque? The intention is to fade them out a bit so as not to attract much attention.

chrisburton
    Participant

The anchor links are still using rgba with an opacity of .8. What slides are you speaking of? The large graphic on the right that resembles your logo? I think that needs to lose the opacity along with the icons. Of course, the texture still bothers me a little bit. I don’t think it would look that bad if it had more opacity to it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@htmlmainiac Keep reading the posts.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@chrisburton – Ah good spot, I had not overwritten the RGBA line on the nav a colour, rather just added a line above for some reason. Fixed!

I changed the background already from the previous texture to a whiter more faded one, the texture is there to offset the white background of the internal pages and to have a papery/cardboard feel.

burn123

You should not make your navigation fixed. The reason for this is because if you decrease the width to where it shows the icon in the corner, and decrease the height, you can see no content.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@burn123 – Not sure what you mean, can you take a screenshot that illustrates the problem for me?

burn123

Sorry. I don’t like how after you decrease the browser window to the point where the menu disappears, then it takes up the whole screen once you open it up. And then you can still scroll when the menu is open. So you should either push the content down, or add overflow:hidden; to the markup when the menu is open

Andy Howells
    Participant

@burn123 – It’s intended to cover up all the content on purpose, if someone is accessing the Nav then it’s unlikely they want to read the content at the same time. It should be completely covering/filling the page, so nothing underneath should be visible.

Is it just that it’s showing the scroll bar vertically that’s annoying?

Wow…it is stunning.

There is only a couple problems for me, the biggest of which is image loading. Especially the paper background, which doesn’t work for me at all. I think the dirty white is nice but the filaments of black are disturbing.

At least for me, the first time I loaded some of your pages, the images didn’t load in a snap like I believe they should. Worst of all, Chrome continually displays a sign of “loading” for at least 5 seconds, if not more. Personally, I don’t see on the page what’s still coming, but that it’s still “loading” still irks me. I’m using Chrome 23 on Win7, if that’s any help.

Otherwise, the graphics and colors and fonts are beautiful. The front page is particularly inspirational with the randomness :)

Andy Howells
    Participant

@knittingfrenzy18 – Cheers for the feedback – regarding the load times, what speed of internet do you have and geographically where abouts are you? I’m keen to see what might be causing that lengthy load time.

Images are as compressed/minified as possible and SVG’s serve for latest browsers, my suspicion is that it might be the Typekit fonts, they’re by far the heftiest in terms of file size that needs to be downloaded.

Andy Howells
    Participant

@knittingfrenzy18 – Thanks for prompting me to double check – I was still using the png version of the background (what a dumbass, 135Kb) switched it out for my previously compressed JPG version (22Kb instead)!

Also, I’ve taken some of the background texture feedback from you & @chrisburton and faded it out some more. Hopefully it looks and loads better now!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.