Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Getting the family off ie6

  • # April 16, 2008 at 3:38 am

    My dad runs the technology back home. He is a fairly tech savvy guy and he knows ASP.NET so he isn’t completely clueless but he will not stop using ie6. Whenever I argue for a more standards compliant browser his answer is always the same.
    "market share"
    Now this is fine, I test on ie6, but I have features that i neutered from the ie6 version of pages. I also want him to push technology forward and not just use what’s popular.

    How do I get my family to use something that is not ie6 for every day browsing?

    .V1
    # April 16, 2008 at 4:02 am

    Update to IE7, and say that windows updater did it 8-)

    box
    # April 16, 2008 at 8:00 am

    You could explain to him about the security vulnerabilities he’s exposed to while using IE6. The reasons for browsers being developed and updated aren’t all about features and web standards – security is a massive part of development.

    # April 16, 2008 at 8:20 am
    ".V1" wrote:
    Update to IE7, and say that windows updater did it 8-)

    This already happened and he doesn’t like it so he uninstalled it. He is so stubborn that I don’t think he will ever change. I just found this forum and thought it would be an interesting question to pose.

    # April 16, 2008 at 4:28 pm

    I would suggest firefox. You can run both IE6 and Firefox on the same time, so they can try it. And I am almost sure that once they tried firefox, they won’t go back ;)

    # April 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm

    That’s pretty crazy that windows automatically updated to IE 7 for him and then he UNINSTALLED it. Sheesh, he sure is committed to that crappy browser. I think you should just let him be, but refuse any sort of assistance with "broken" sites. There are more and more sites that just render completely broken or just plain don’t work these days with IE 6, so eventually it just won’t even be an option any more.

    # April 16, 2008 at 5:49 pm

    Do something really passive aggressive, like coding a family photo website that is purposefully broken in IE6, and then tell him you can’t fix it because IE6 is so terrible.

    If you really wanted to be a jerk, you could make conditional statements for IE6 that make your page worse rather than just relying on what doesn’t work normally.

    ;D

    # April 16, 2008 at 6:33 pm
    "Towers" wrote:
    Do something really passive aggressive, like coding a family photo website that is purposefully broken in IE6, and then tell him you can’t fix it because IE6 is so terrible.

    If you really wanted to be a jerk, you could make conditional statements for IE6 that make your page worse rather than just relying on what doesn’t work normally.

    ;D

    haha I like it. He would’ve got away with IE6 if it weren’t for those pesky conditions.

    :twisted:

    # April 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm
    "Towers" wrote:
    If you really wanted to be a jerk, you could make conditional statements for IE6 that make your page worse rather than just relying on what doesn’t work normally.

    Yes! That’s the funniest idea ever. I should write up some example of how to insert some really annoying banner or overlay or something specifically for IE 6 with conditional stylesheets. Or maybe a javascript browser detection that would auto rickroll you if you tried to visit with IE 6 :twisted:

    # April 17, 2008 at 2:19 am

    lol, wow I love this forum. I think I may just play some of these tricks on them.

    # April 18, 2008 at 9:23 am

    You can tell them it is not secure, and this is the reason PayPal will be pulling support for it.

    link>>

    # May 4, 2008 at 1:16 am
    ".V1" wrote:
    Update to IE7, and say that windows updater did it 8-)

    +1

    thats what we did to my boss so he would stop freaking out while i was learning css lol. drove me crazy for about 2 months

    # May 5, 2008 at 12:14 pm
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    "Towers" wrote:
    If you really wanted to be a jerk, you could make conditional statements for IE6 that make your page worse rather than just relying on what doesn’t work normally.

    Yes! That’s the funniest idea ever. I should write up some example of how to insert some really annoying banner or overlay or something specifically for IE 6 with conditional stylesheets. Or maybe a javascript browser detection that would auto rickroll you if you tried to visit with IE 6 :twisted:

    I forget where I saw it, but I came across a tutorial once that showed how to use conditional comments to make an "upgrade to Firefox" message appear if you were using IE6 :lol:

    Regarding getting your dad to switch – you should get Firefox, install an IE6 skin, and then remove all shortcuts to IE6 and replace them with Firefox, but rename them to "Internet Explorer" and change the icons :lol:

    # May 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm
    "daGUY" wrote:
    I forget where I saw it, but I came across a tutorial once that showed how to use conditional comments to make an "upgrade to Firefox" message appear if you were using IE6 :lol:

    What do you think of this? SaveTheDevelopers.org

    # May 6, 2008 at 9:32 am

    check out the browser usage statistics at w3schools.com,
    looks like IE6 is still a major player, whether one likes it or not.

    IE (IE7: 21.9%, IE6: 30.1%, IE5: 1.1% – 53.1%)
    FF (37.0%)

    now this is only their hits measurement, so actul usage statistics could vary,
    but it does seem to indicate that IE6 still looms large on the web scene.

    wonder what the stats are on the css-tricks.com site?

    Al

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".