Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Getting the family off ie6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

My dad runs the technology back home. He is a fairly tech savvy guy and he knows ASP.NET so he isn’t completely clueless but he will not stop using ie6. Whenever I argue for a more standards compliant browser his answer is always the same.
    "market share"
    Now this is fine, I test on ie6, but I have features that i neutered from the ie6 version of pages. I also want him to push technology forward and not just use what’s popular.

How do I get my family to use something that is not ie6 for every day browsing?

".V1" wrote:
    Update to IE7, and say that windows updater did it 8-)

This already happened and he doesn’t like it so he uninstalled it. He is so stubborn that I don’t think he will ever change. I just found this forum and thought it would be an interesting question to pose.

Towers

Do something really passive aggressive, like coding a family photo website that is purposefully broken in IE6, and then tell him you can’t fix it because IE6 is so terrible.

If you really wanted to be a jerk, you could make conditional statements for IE6 that make your page worse rather than just relying on what doesn’t work normally.

;D

lol, wow I love this forum. I think I may just play some of these tricks on them.

".V1" wrote:
    Update to IE7, and say that windows updater did it 8-)

+1

thats what we did to my boss so he would stop freaking out while i was learning css lol. drove me crazy for about 2 months

As of March ’08 30.1% of people still use IE6 according to w3schools. This is a CSS site so people are much more mindful of what they browse with. Most of my hits come from IE.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.