Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS z-index question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Arvid

I’m trying to place an element behind its parent container using z-index. The parent is positioned relative and the child element absolutely. The child elemment is a nav containing a ul with li’s in it. Each li contains a link. I’ve set the z-index of the parent to be higher than the z-index of the nav, and I am clueless as to why the nav continues to be placed on top of its parent div. I’d really apreciate any help, thanks!

Mottie

Did you try setting the nav z-index to a negative number? If you are still having issues, please share a demo of the problem on jsFiddle.net.

Arvid

I did. The nav is negative z-index and its container has a positive value.

Here’s a link: http://dabblet.com/gist/1542051

Thank you for the quick reply, I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

Mottie

Oh, remove the “z-index: 10;” from the “.wrapper”.

Arvid

Thanks a lot! May I ask why it works like that?

Arvid

Oh and how would I make it clickable and hoverable again, when it’s outside of the container?

Inheritance

Arvid

Care to elaborate? Love the name btw

Anonymous
    Inactive

Z-index is the CSS property that defines the stack order of any element. Element with greater stack order is placed in front of element with lower stack order.

VPN

Arvid

Yes, but how would I make thee element with the lower z-index hover/clickable if it’s visible outside it’s continer?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.