Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Would love your critique on my new blog design.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KholdStare

Hi, everyone! For the past week and a half I have been working on a blog layout during my free time, and would really like your input. This is my first “legitimate” website where I’m learning to use CSS and the like (I’ve made one-off web pages for friends and family before, but that was all html, and table layouts. shudder). CSS-tricks has been an invaluable resource!

Here is the url:
    http://kholdstare.github.com/

The functionality is not all complete (some links don’t work), but I would like critique and suggestions on the overall theme, and individual design elements. In particular:

• Overall theme: What do you think of the “floating panels” for content?
    • Choice of colors: Is there consistency in the colors? (e.g. Links are obvious).
    • Padding/spacing/sizing of elements. Do things look “right”? Is there an obvious hierarchy?

The source code for the website is publicly hosted on github at:
    https://github.com/KholdStare/kholdstare.github.com

Thank you so much for taking a look, I don’t have enough experience to make all those judgements myself.
    Alex.

Billy
    Participant

I like the colours very much, and the floating panels are very nice!

I have but two criticisms, whilst I find everything else great:

1. The box with the date information should have some [more] padding.
    2. The main text colour is slightly too muted; it needs to be brighter.
    KholdStare

Thank you so much for the criticism!

I completely agree with you on the date. I have added a few pixels of padding on the side to fix that.

About the text color, it seems that on some platforms, the font is thinner and appears to be not as bright (e.g. comparing normal text and the thicker text of inline code). However, the color itself that I set is already #f6f6f6, which is almost pure white. In Firefox, on Windows, the text looks pretty bright, but in Firefox on Linux looks kinda dim. Not sure how it looks like on Mac. Hmm… not sure what to do with this issue. :P

In any case, thanks for your valuable feedback :D

Billy
    Participant

Chris did a post on this and how to fix it as he had the same problem on codepen. It was only a month or two ago.
    If I remember rightly the problem is only really with Safari and Chrome, and Chrome is now the most used browser in the world…

KholdStare

Thanks, I will look into it!

For anyone wondering, the article cyneWATCH referred to can be found here: https://css-tricks.com/beefing-up-dull-text-in-webkit/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.