Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS wordpress site not showing up like other..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    redhare

hey guys,

i’ve made a mock up of a site i wanna do in html.. i installed wordpress on another site to try to replicate it and its not showing up. wordpress has so many different files that i don’t know where to begin some code and end it.

the div page-wrap class group forces the html site in a set size where as the wordpress doesn’t do that..

i’m confused on what i’m doing wrong.

heres the html site.. http://www.marineflora.com and the site that is wordpress is http://www.safaritreasure.com

thanks for all the advice guys. it helped me understand the div boxes for the html side ..

cybershot
    Participant

on the wordpress version, it would help a lot if you use firefox and intall firebug for firefox. Then you can right click on an area and choose “Inspect Element”. This is great for finding out what classes wordpress is adding to the divs in the code. Then in your css, you can add those classes with the appropriate rules

redhare

hi cybershot

thanks, i installed it. the sidebar shows on the bottom instead of top right.. is there a way to set the margins or something to position it on the top right?

cybershot
    Participant

this is where firebug really comes into play. If you start firebug and hover over the code, you will see the element on the page get highlighted. This shows you how a specific element is affecting the page. I can see that your post on the left is 100% of the page width which is why your sidebar is showing on the bottom right. You need to float your posts left, give them a width short enough to allow for the post and the sidebar to fit side by side on the page. that will allow your sidebar to move back to the top

redhare

thanks man. i didn’t think about the posts that took up all that space. i did chris’s lynda.com wordpress tutorial and was in the process of transferring to wordpress.

redhare

hey guys,

i’ve made the h2 tag a width of 450px but it still shows full length and is breaking up my page.

i’m using firebug and this line of code extends the length of the page..

div id=”post-27″ class=”post-27 post type-post hentry category-uncategorized”

i don’t know where this post id is.

the .post, .postmetadata and .entry are 450px and look fine in firebug.

cybershot
    Participant

you don’t have to style for id=”post-27″. what you need to do is put the wordpress loop in a div of your own and give it a class of whatever you want and style that div. Then you can place it on the left of your page and the sidebar on the right of your page

redhare

thanks cyber for all the tips. its looking better. i’m gonna look for the loops you are talking about.

redhare

hello all,

i’m working on the loop post section of my site.. there is a

gap between the topic of the post and the excerpt. i’m looking at my code and don’t see that. i can remove it in firebug but not in my code.

i tried doing the text-decoration: none; for the topic so it doesn’t show up blue but that isn’t working as well…

redhare

oh god… i just had to remove the

.. apparently the excerpt is already

lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.