Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress – single-post template and the loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alxvo
    Participant

Hi, I also posted this to the WordPress.org forums, but no one seems to have been able to help yet, so I’m trying my luck here as well.

I have a problem that I can’t seem to solve on my own:
    I’m doing this portfolio for a photographer friend, and we’re uploading each picture as a new blog entry, attaching it using the “featured image”-feature.
    That’s not the problem, works fine.

The thing is I want to be able to cycle through all the pictures, jcarousel-wise, in each category. Right now when viewing a single picture, I load it through the single-post-template-file, and then using next_post_link() and previous_post_link(), you can go to the next or previous picture. That also works fine.

But I figure, if I want to be able to loop through the pictures with jcarousel, I need to write some changes to the loop in the single-post-template.

I need to load:
    1. the current post (like now; post no. 5 for instance in a category)
    2. all the next posts in the category (no. 5 to 10 for instance)
    3. all the posts before the current post (no. 1 to 4 for instance)

I don’t suspect this to be too complicated, I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it on my own.
    Thank you very much to everyone with ideas to throw in.

//A.

jacorre
    Participant

I think it would be better to create a custom template page. That way you can write your own custom loop and get your jcarousel style going.

alxvo
    Participant

Yep, and that’s exactly the question: how do I write the loop so that it loads the posts the way I’ve specified. I write custom template pages all the time, but this particular problem seems to stick.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.