Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Recent Blogs Mess

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Can you guys help me? Under Recent Blogs on my site the code is forcing all of the blog names to cram into one another, but I need it to be one blog per line. I have tried to firebug it and cant seem to figure it out. It seems like I am just overlooking something. The site is http://www.archdesignlabs.com.

Thanks in advance!

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Make an unordered list and put every blog in a separate list item.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I am using WordPress so its auto generating the recent blogs post. If I make the unordered list that doesnt use any of the wordpress functionality for blogs

Clayton

Do what Anton said, and put the HTML code (ul…li) into the loop in WordPress.

You’ll most likely need to edit the sidebar.php page, and put the unordered-list markup into the loop where it churns out the code.

Try the WordPress codex too. or the IRC channel on freenode; #wordpress.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

I haven’t tried this myself, but it is listed in the codex so give it a go.

http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Functions/get_blog_list

If you’re hard coding the “widget” in your sidebar.php: Simply put the code where it should be.
    If not, you need a plugin or added functionality in your theme to be able to execute php code in a widget. This might do it:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/php-code-widget/

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Ok so I am trying to widgitize my sidebar right now.

I cant use the get_blog functions only the get_archive functions. I followed some of Chris tutorials and thats what he did so I kind of just copied it. Not sure what to do now :$ I thought that there would be an area to say one post per line.

Here is the code I am using to call to the archives.

‘postbypost’, // or daily, weekly, monthly, yearly
    ‘limit’ => 10, // maximum number shown
    ‘format’ => ‘none’, // or select (dropdown), link, or custom (then need to also pass before and after params for custom tags
    ‘show_post_count’ => false, // show number of posts per link
    ‘echo’ => 1 // display results or return array

) ); ?>

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Try this link

I will try that too

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Oh wow! Display: block worked! That was simple but something I just wasnt thinking about. Thank you very much. Now off to fix the other 15 errors. Then update the site a little. Right now the site is ok, but I want something that is really good. Any suggestions?

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

I want the site to serve as a community of information and distribution much like css-tricks actually. I like the dark site design and the simplicity of the design. I like fun sites though, like things that are unexpected and I really love sites with visual depth. Right now mine basically has zero visual depth. This was my first site ever and I designed everything and coded it all so I am not really sure how to do alot of things.

Thanks

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Are you not using your WP installation as a network? Or why is get_blog_list not available?

However, the most semantic way to list those links is in a unordered list. Display:block isn’t really the best solution, even though it’s the easiest.

This is what I’m talking about:

'type' => 'postbypost', // or daily, weekly, monthly, yearly
      'limit' => 10, // maximum number shown
      'show_post_count' => false, // show number of posts per link
      'echo' => 1 // display results or return array

I removed the format parameter, returning li’s instead, and I wrapped the function in ul’s. This gives you a more semantic markup. Just sayin’.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

Are you not using your WP installation as a network? Or why is get_blog_list not available?

However, the most semantic way to list those links is in a unordered list. Display:block isn’t really the best solution, even though it’s the easiest.

This is what I’m talking about:

'type' => 'postbypost', // or daily, weekly, monthly, yearly
      'limit' => 10, // maximum number shown
      'show_post_count' => false, // show number of posts per link
      'echo' => 1 // display results or return array

I removed the format parameter, returning li’s instead, and I wrapped the function in ul’s. This gives you a more semantic markup. Just sayin’.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Ok, the

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.