Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Best Practices – How do you make it so your clients can use classes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    slb535

I’m about to turn over a web site to a client. However, for the first time, I have coded a site that does require

surrounding some of the entries that she will make.

What’s the best way to do this? I’m thinking shortcodes, but is there a better way, by which perhaps one can put classes on the format bar? I messed around with TinyMCE Advanced but it didn’t go well.

Senff
    Participant

My first thought would be to have a custom field. Based on whatever is picked and entered by the client, the post in question could have a specific class (perhaps of a wrapping div).

There’s probably better methods but this is just one option that comes to mind.

Oh, if you know there will only be a small amount of classes that can be used, you can of course pre-code that in the template, and have the client just pick the template upon posting.

slb535

That’s an interesting idea. It doesn’t work with the site I’m doing currently because she needs to add content to existing pages. But it actually suggests a better way of structuring a site like this.

I did figure out how to add a drop down list of styles on the formatting bar. And that might be the best way to go in this case. But I will consider that for the future.

Thanks.

TheDoc

You should be able to provide the client with a dropdown of classnames in TinyMCE, that way your client can just select the code (or click on an element in the breadcrumb trail) and then select a class for it.

TheDoc

Here’s an article I found after a quick search, not sure if it’s the best but should be a good starting point. http://alisothegeek.com/2011/05/tinymce-styles-dropdown-wordpress-visual-editor/

slb535

Thanks very much for the article. (I’m sorry I didn’t see your post earlier for some reason!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.