Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Within a rule, does selector order matter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lenoxus
    Participant

Suppose I have a rule like this:

A, B, C {
    height: 50%;
    width: 50%;
    }

(Each of A, B, C could be anything, like .navbar#middleIcon or whatever.)

Are there any circumstances where the effect would be different if listed as “C, B, A”, or any other other? Either in terms of outcome or speed?

metageeky
    Participant

It should not matter. Even if one selector is more “specific” than the other, the browser will register that rule as a match.

I guess you could run into an issue in the following sense depending on how the browser tracks rules matching. Say your CSS is the following:

A, B, C {
       height: 50%;
       width: 50%;
    }

D { width: 100%; }

Assume that an element matches to A, C, and D. In terms of specificity, C is more specific than D and D is more specific than A. In other words, by specificity, an element that matches A, C, and D gets ruled by C and should have a width of 50%.

A problem could occur if the browser attempts to be “smart” and efficient. Consider what happens if the browser sees that the first rule matches on A then skips to the next rule (and does not test B or C). Only A and D are marked as matches, meaning the width of the element will be 100% (as D is more specific than A and C was never considered).

I have no idea if this occurs in any browsers, but even if it does, smarter CSS design will solve it.

metageeky

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.