Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Windows alternative to CodeKit that is free?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Selby
    Participant

I’ve been using CodeKit for all of my LESS and JS compiling/minifying needs while doing my frontend development lately. I love it, and it was well worth the $28. But now I am looking for a Windows alternative. Don’t worry, I’m not switching back to Windows. Just something I could recommend to my fellow developers that use Windows. I found Prepros which looks great and is highly recommended, but it’s not free or open source. I personally don’t care, but I know people who wouldn’t use it because of that….. any others I haven’t found yet?

chrisburton
    Participant

I liked Compass.app better than Prepos (more than half the cost).

Senff
    Participant

I personally prefer Prepros over Compass.app. :)

I don’t think you’ll find a Codekit alternative for Windows that is free, really.

Geoff Selby
    Participant

Thanks guys!
    A friend of mine pointed me towards Koala which is cross-platform and open-source. After looking into it, I can say it is pretty nice. Not quite as many features as CodeKit, but still a great free and open-source app. I’ve already recommended it to about 6 other developers and they seem to like it, too.

theacefes
    Participant

I work in a .NET environment so I don’t need to use another LESS app to convert, but Crunch is another simple option.

connorblikre
    Participant

+1 for Koala; it’s super simple to use.

I also like WinLESS for its simplicity, but all it does is LESS compiling, no javascript minification.

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t use any of these things but I hear good things about Koala. Although, I could be wrong but Koala doesn’t have the photo compression feature.

nixnerd
    Participant

A few things to add to my last comment:

1. I don’t know that I really believe in “lossless” JPG compression. I read an article about a month ago that said it’s hogwash. Plus, I can usually see a difference in quality when I use these tools.

2. PNG does compress quite nicely. Those photos lose A LOT of extra weight… like 80%. *I could be wrong but my understanding is that PNG files have a lot of embedded meta data that you don’t need. Therefore, by cutting all that out, they get quite small.

3. Again, I don’t think Koala has that feature but you can get a command line utility like ImageMagick and batch compress/resize/rotate all your photos at once.

ElijahFowler
    Participant

I personally like Prepros myself, there is a free version and a Pro version. While other solutions might work, no other has Autoprefixer, which is beyond amazing to have work in tandem with the preprocessor.

victoriaRuiz
    Participant

Based on the suggestions in this post, I just downloaded Koala. It looks great so far. To update your comments, it compiles SASS and does have autoprefixer. It minifies Javascript, but does not compress images. So far, a nice little tool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.