Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Why do I need to set my @media breakpoint to greater size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    webbmalin
    Participant

Hello, I customize WordPress themes from scratch.

Trying to keep up with the technique and have made a few webites responsive. Now I really need your help, cause I’m stuck on this one.

Let’s say I use this:
    @media all and (max-width: 768px)

And I do my css changes, NOTHING happens until the screen size is 600px. Why not at 768px?

In order to make anything happen at a 768px screen size, I need to set the breakpoint to around 830px.

So I can make it work by doing so, but I have no idea why. Nobody else seems to have this problem, I’ve googled it quite a bit.

It’s the same with every width I chose, not just 768. And I had the same problem with all the websites I have made responsive.

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

The one I’m working on now is local, but I’ve made this one too: http://biofood.se/
    (never mind the “carousels” on front page, they’re not pretty on some of the screen sizes but you’ll might see what I mean with the breakpoints).

Thank you so much!
    /Malin

Paulie_D

Looks fine to me…you don’t have the browser zoomed do you?

webbmalin
    Participant

No it’s not zoomed. And no missed closing remarks… (I haven’t even done anything for the 600 media query yet).

I check both with firefox developer tool and at sites such as http://responsivetest.net/

How do you check yours?

Yes, I code completely from scratch… well, I also reuse my old stuff too and change them… That’s what I like to do, at least before people wanted responsive, hehehe…

webbmalin
    Participant

As I mentioned before, I always have this problem… maybe I’m doing something else wrongly…

Using this, I do want people to be able to zoom if they like.
    <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0″>

I’m not doing anything with body for the media querys, only the div’s…

webbmalin
    Participant

hmmm!
    ok, I think you’re right about something being weird with my browser.
    Looks ok when I just push the browser window smaller to 768px… but when I use web developer tool to view it looks weird even though it’s set to the right pixels….

But still weird that it also looks bad at testing sajts…

webbmalin
    Participant

Yes I know you meant my browser view zoomed in. And I know how to reset it.

I mean every site I work on.

I will try on different computers (i only have one computer, and work locally on it, so I usually test on other computers after I’m done coding).

Seems to work by only resizing window, but I thought that was exactly what the web developer tool did.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.