Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Where to start learning Javascript.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to Js, but I’d like to start learning it but I haven’t found a good website to start. I’ve just been using HTML & css for awhile and I’ve scratched the surface with Jquery but I’d like to understand it better.

rickylamerz

That’s pretty easy: go to w3schools.com and follow the tutorial. Start testing things in an test enviroment. And Google basic tutorials on Javascript after the w3schools crash-course.

daredanger
    Participant

I’ll suggest to first start with jQuery and then gradually you can move to javascript.

Thanks, I’ve used w3schools in the past, but really I didn’t know what i could do beyond what they showed, and cool stuff but I will buckle down and get to it.

TT_Mark

@daredanger It’s best to start with JavaScript then move to JQuery. Otherwise you understand pretty much nothing of what you do and it’s harder to debug your code

daredanger
    Participant

@TT_Mark….. you are correct and no one can deny the fact that it is best to start with JavaScript and then move to jQuery.

Having said that, doing cool stuffs in JavaScript requires a very thorough understanding of the language. This ‘thorough understanding’ will take much time and effort and a beginner may loose interest in the language. Whereas learning curve of jQuery is pretty short and cooler stuffs can be done more easily. This will help a newbie to continue learning the framework and remain excited. After learning jQuery in some depth, the newbie will soon find that it is important for him to learn JavaScript as well so as to have a better grip over the language and this time the learning will not take much time because the newbie already understands the concept of how this amazing language works.

TT_Mark

@daredanger….. Very true, if you are looking for a quick fix, but the OP did state that they wanted to understand JavaScript better, and there is no better way than by learning JavaScript. JQuery has some great functions that simplify JavaScript, however things like if, while, for and mathematical calculations are probably best understood by learning the raw JS

daredanger
    Participant

@TT_Mark…..totally agree with you.

I think I did not read momo_the_monkey’s question with great attention….he said that he is already using jQuery and want to understand javascript better…..so my mistake to suggest him to start with jQuery.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.