Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is the best tool for doing complex animation on the web?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    iamacatperson
    Participant

What is the best way to animate on the web? Currently, there are several options I can think of:

• Create animation in Flash and export it as HTML canvas (via Google Swiffy).
    • Create animation via applications such as Adobe Edge / Tumult Hype.
    • Hand-code the animation using jQuery / CSS.

I’m not sure which of these is the standard / most efficient method. The usual gripe about using animation applications is that the code may be bloated (similar to using WYSIWYG editors for building websites). Some are still recommending to minimise animation or just code it manually (jQuery / CSS). However, since animation is very visual, I find it tedious to code animation and the ROI may not be worth the time and effort.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Shikkediel
    Participant

How complex is it? If very, a library like GSAP would be more appropriate. Personally, I would never choose the first option you mentioned (it seems circumventive but a lot of work nonetheless). As far as I know, Adobe Edge creates jQuery as well so that could be an option. But my own preference would be to write the plain code, it would be easier to debug and adapt. And it can be very efficient, it says ‘write less, do more’ for that exact reason…

Cats rule. :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.