Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Website Input

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tannercampbell
    Participant

Hey all,

http://tannercampbell.net/writerssquare/

Something that has always bothered me as a WordPress fan and an author (writer), is that there is a SERIOUS lack of minimalist writers themes. Themes that put a focus strictly on beautiful typography and content. With very few exceptions, such as Melville and Manifesto, there are few to no themes that do this the way I envision it should be done.

By no means is this a finished project, it’s still in the creation phase and I haven’t even begun to convert it to a WordPress theme, but I wanted some input on my semantics. I’ve been studying for the last month or so to create beautiful code free of unnecessary bulk and complication, I’ve also learned to utilize battle-tested css bootstraps like Blueprint (I used it here). I was hoping some of you more experienced designers could have a look at my HTML structure, as well as CSS structure, and give me your opinions on how it might be improved.

Thanks!

-Tanner

chrisburton
    Participant

Well, I wouldn’t use letter-spacing unless the heading is in all caps and even then it depends. And you need to make sure your type choices look appealing on all platforms, not just the one you’re using. Additionally, I’d also make the site name and headings stand out from each other.

chrisburton
    Participant

> Did you find it less appealing on a specific browser? Or was this just good advice?

In general, when setting standard fonts that come with your OS, you need to find alternatives that are just as appealing for other platforms.

>Are you suggesting a separate font, size, or color?

I’m only suggesting that you make the site name distinctive from your headings.

This is how it looks to me: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/image/1w1G023l2Y1L

theacefes

Yeah it’s just showing up as “serif” font for me.

chrisburton
    Participant

Georgia renders better at smaller sizes. I would use that instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.