Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design website design with only HTML4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been designing websites for some years now but have recently gone to university to get my IT Degree. Here is my problem, for an assignment we’ve been asked to create a website, at first I was like, “awesome, this will be fun and easy” but then I read through the design specs. We are only allowed to use HTML4 and no CSS.

So here is my question, does anybody know of a way to change the font colour of text without using CSS?

Thanks.

P.S i would appreciate it if you didn’t post code examples as I am not allowed to explicitly copy any code but if anyone knows of a tag in HTML4 that will work i would really appreciate it.

jurotek
    Participant

With inline styles?

<p style="font-family:sans-serif;color:red">
      Some text
    </p>

Some text

or like this

<p><font color="red">Some text</font></p>

Some text

Doesn’t work, prolly was deprecated

Alen
    Participant

I would start by referring to the specs. http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/

[email protected]
    Participant

thanks guys, and yes the tag no longer works.

will_wallace85
    Participant

A lot of courses like forcing people to do use old tech as a way to understand the history of the medium. The idea is that it does two things:

1. Makes you better appreciate the tools at your disposal.
    2. The better you understand the foundations on which the current standards are based, the more likely you are to write good semantic code.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but this is why.

As to the OP, I think the color property is going to be your best bet. It’s been a while since I used it, and it honestly might have been deprecated for HTML4 for all I know, but, without css (inline or otherwise) or using images, that’s the only way I know of.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.