Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Webfont Colophon – feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Hey, everyone. I’ve been busy trying to get my design completed on my about page and wanted some constructive feedback on this specific layout/idea regarding the webfonts-in-use.

I designed a simple “webfonts-in-use” colophon to showcase what webfonts I’m using across the site. I wanted to spice it up a tad by making it actually do something without it just sitting on the page, which is kind of boring.

I figured I could make the letters fade in and out with jQuery while switching to the next set of characters so one could see the letterforms.

Thoughts? Additional or other ideas?

Note: The animation will only work on the page when you hover inside the borders. Otherwise it’s a distraction. Also, the characters will cycle all the way through “Aa” to “Zz” and not just “Aa” to “Cc” as shown in the image above

TheDoc

I think it’s a neat idea, really cool to be informed as you’re reading. I’m not sure I like the fading part of it, but I guess that might change if I could actually see it in practice (not just a gif).

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc Appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by not liking the fading part? Should I have them cycle without a fade? Also, I’m not sure if I explained this well. The cycling will only happen when the mouse is hovered inside the perimeter. I think if I were to have it cycling in general, it would be a distraction to the user when reading the rest of the content on my about page.

TheDoc

It’s just that the gif doesn’t really do justice to how it will look on the page. So as it looks in this thread, I don’t really like the appeal. It’s not as smooth as I’d like.

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s true, it doesn’t. I’m going to give a few people access when I feel it’s complete for last minute feedback, error-spotting, typos, etc., if you’re interested?

I was also thinking about showing specific features of the webfont. Such as showing ligatures and whatnot instead of just cycling through the alphabet.

ElijahFowler
    Participant

Hmmmm… You got my creative juices flowing. I’m off to build a cool CSS3 animation example of your idea. I’ll post back when I am finished building it. :D

chrisburton
    Participant

@ElijahFowler Hey, please do!

ElijahFowler
    Participant

So, sorry it took me this long to get back with the finished product, I had a lot of work come up these past two weeks.

I got it working with just HTML and CSS Animations, but I wasn’t able to get it to work like I wanted do it originally. The way I wanted to do it was to have one element with before and after psuedo element with the text in them, and to change the text and text style with a keyframe, but unfortunately that’s not possible with keyframes. So I wound up setting up 26 elements to place the content in.

Here’s the finished product at CodePen

Enjoy~!
    -Elijah

ElijahFowler
    Participant

One could conceivably use this to change up the animations a bit too: [Animte.css](http://daneden.me/animate/ “Animate.css”)

chrisburton
    Participant

Nice work @ElijahFowler. I think I’m going to stick to jQuery to keep the markup minimal. I also might not be showcasing all 52 glyphs. Instead, I might focus on the appearance features (ligatures, italics, etc).

ElijahFowler
    Participant

If you’re already calling jQuery then using it would be a LOT less markup. All in all, it was just a fun side project for me. If things had worked out as I wanted initially then it would have been really light but seeing as how they didn’t… lol

Good luck with your project. :)

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.