Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design as a career

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wes
    Participant

Alright so first a bit of information before I ask my question. I am currently an art major (working on my fourth semester) with a focus in "Applied Arts" (essentially I take all the technology related electives int he art department). I am 19. I have made around…. six or so websites (all of them for individuals or small business).

So my question is, what steps should I be taking to get a job as a web designer? This is probably a stupid question and most likely has been answered. Though I would appreciate it if the sarcasm was kept to a minimum :D I bruise easily.

TheDoc

An online portfolio showcasing your talent is a must have.

From there, you’ll need to decide whether you want to freelance or work for a firm.

Personally, I do a little bit of both. I work full time for a local web development company, and in my spare time I have my own clients that I deal with. When it comes to getting hired, it really all comes down to your portfolio, in my opinion. You can have all of the diplomas and certificates in the world, but if you can’t show somebody something amazing that you’ve done, it’s all moot.

I have no formal training, but I presented myself with confidence and had a portfolio that was good enough to get me hired – if you do the same, you shouldn’t have any problems.

Wes
    Participant

I am reworking my portfolio as we speak, also trying to get more sample pieces to put in it. I figured that was the case Doc, thank you though. I will surely keep my head up and work hard.

thanks again

webreality

Something that worked for me, and maybe this is a bit general (but what the heck, why leave it out) was networking on Linkedin.com. it’s actually how I got my job back in November. Eventually, after searching on monster and such, recruiters started to network with me on Linkedin.com, where I had a copy of my resume. one of them picked it up, showed it to their client and three days later I was hired. Don’t underestimate the power of networking :ugeek:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.