Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Viewport scale/zoom (portrait)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    grimski
    Participant

I’m working on a couple of web ‘apps’. basically they’re a series of static html pages with previous/next links to navigation through the pages. Other than that they contain standard content elements as well as some slideshows and fancybox’s. They’re not required to be responsive (mobile) so I have a min-width (960px) set on the body tag as well as a max-width (1100px) set on a child container.

I had some issues with content being zoomed in on iPad as well as not reseting when you changed the orientation from landscape to portrait and vice versa. I seem to of resolved this with:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0">

This works fine for portrait but the content is chopped off in landscape. But I guess the issue is the content now can’t be zoomed? The previous problem I had was when I zoomed/adjusted the webpage in portrait then rotated to landscape the layout would then be off in landscape – when it was previously ok.

Here’s an example: http://moymadethis.com/example/unit-1/session-1/slide-1.html

Is there a way to have the content scale/shrink in a portrait viewport when there isn’t enough room but maintain it’s actual size in landscape?

I’m open to suggestions, I’m just trying to find the right solution for this. Every website I’ve done has been responsive for years so I haven’t touched the viewport stuff for ages!

Thanks in advance!

Beverleyh
    Participant

Not sure if this is what you want;

html { -ms-text-size-adjust:100%; -webkit-text-size-adjust:100% } /* prevent adjustments of font size after orientation changes in IE and iOS */

grimski
    Participant

Yeah I have that set on the html tag.

Would I be better of using something like:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=960">

But I suppose that wouldn’t allow the content area to grow in width if there was more available space?

ztgst
    Participant

You should try remove your min-width an only set width and max-width, the tablet had a width of 768px in portrait, less pixels that your min-width.

I recommended no limit the body max-width,min-width you should use a main wrap or something like that, you can find many examples.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Would I be better of using something like: <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=960″>

But I suppose that wouldn’t allow the content area to grow in width if there was more available space?

OK, how about if you only apply the ‘width=960’ viewport on screens that are 960px or less. On larger devices, use ‘width=device-width’. You can do it with JavaScript and matchMedia.

First make sure that your viewport tag is in the <head> of your web page;

<meta name="viewport" content="width=960">

Then add this JavaScript to the bottom of your page – above </body>

if (window.matchMedia) {
        var mq = window.matchMedia('(max-width:960px)'),
            viewport = document.querySelector('meta[name=viewport]');
        mq.addListener(checkViewPort);
        checkViewPort(mq);
        }
    function checkViewPort(mq) {
        mq.matches ? viewport.setAttribute('content', 'width=960') : viewport.setAttribute('content', 'width=device-width');
        }

grimski
    Participant

@Beverleyh thanks for that, I’ll give this ago!

I know this is a bit awkward – responsive but only up until a point! So this is ‘responsive’ but only to a set width and then it just zooms/shrinks if it’s below that’ll be great! :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.