Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Validating users / Password_verify / _hash

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    cscodismith
    Participant

Yes but where would I start to do this and how can I verify that the plain text password matches the hashed password? Do I put it in the following lines of code in login.php file?

if (password_verify($password, $hash)) {
                echo "You're in!";
                // Password is correct
            } else {
                echo 'Password is invalid!';
                // Password is incorrect
            }

drose379
    Participant

That looks right yes. But you need to pull the hash from the database first, would you know how to do that?

cscodismith
    Participant

Unfortunately no I do not and just to clarify that is correct here is what is defined by $password and $hash

$password = $_POST['password'];
    $hash = password_hash($password, PASSWORD_DEFAULT);

drose379
    Participant

Depends on what you are trying to do. If this is the register script, then yes, you will create the hash this way and store that in the DB. But if this is a login, no. You want to get the password that the user inputted, (POST) and then pull the hash you have stored in your database that corresponds to that user. Does this make sense?

cscodismith
    Participant

Kind of yes and kind of no. I get what you mean I need to get what the user inputted

$_POST['password'];

and I have to pull the hashed password from the database in which I do not know how to do that. This is the login script so do I need to make any changes what so ever to the following code or is this part fine?

drose379
    Participant

Yes you need to get rid of $hash, since it should be coming from the DB. This may be easier if we talk over a live chat system rather then a forum, if you’re interested.

cscodismith
    Participant

That would be good – if you’d like you can come into my Teamspeak3 voice server and from there I can share with you my teamviewer to guide me through it. You can connect to my Teamspeak server with the ip: ts3.heartfx.org

Unless Skype is more convenient for you, you can add me on Skype – My Skype name is lowheartrate

drose379
    Participant

Ok, one minute

cscodismith
    Participant

Alright, no problem.

drose379
    Participant

Should have gotten a request from me on Skype.

cscodismith
    Participant

I did and I have accepted it although it says that you’re offline at the moment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In login.php

$username = $_POST['username'];

You’re hashing the password then comparing it to an existing hash. This will (almost) always fail.

A basic outline of registering and logging in…

User registration

• User enters a username and password (anything else you want to save, add to this list, but we’ll ignore this for now)
    • User clicks submit and POSTs that information to the server
    • Server receives a username and password (`$_POST[‘username’]` and `$_POST[‘password’]`)
    • Server makes sure that these comply with its rules for what a username and password should look like
    • Server checks to make sure a duplicate record doesn’t exist for the username
    • Server hashes the password (`password_hash($password)`)
    • Server safely inserts the username and hash into the database
    • Server responds telling the user everything went ok. Unless it didn’t.

User login

• User enters a username and password
    • User clicks submit and POSTs that information to the server
    • Server safely retrieves the hash that matches the username from the database
    • Server compares the submitted password to the hash (`password_verify($password, $hash)`)
    • If there is no matching username or if the passwords do not match, then the server responds with a message informing the user (although probably not which of these was the case)
    • If there is a match then this is a success case and the session can be set up accordingly

Important points

1) The hash is only created once, on registration. The hash contains everything that php needs to check a plaintext password against it using password_verify(). Do not hash anything in your login script. Compare the plaintext password to the hash saved in your database.
    2) Be aware (and plan for) your database not having a matching username. Your response should be the same for the user whether or not a matching username is found and should be the same response you provide when the passwords don’t match.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.