Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Update title of dynamically-loaded page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    heyes
    Participant

In the article/code at https://css-tricks.com/rethinking-dynamic-page-replacing-content/, what mods would be required to also update the page title (currently it remains that of the original-load page, and thus all history entries confusingly have that title too).

I apologize for asking such an open question, but I simply don’t have the brainpower to understand much of this stuff.

Please, thanks, etcetera.

programacaocriativa
    Participant

If you try to change this title of page and don’t get success, try this and i think what you will be happy =)

<script>
    title = document.getElementsByTagName(‘title’)[0].innerHTML = prefix + ‘Deleting row(s)’;

window.history.replaceState(null, title, destination);
    </script>

heyes
    Participant

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to update the title.

Having searched a lot on this issue… it seems that a downside of using Ajax to load new content the title remains that of the first page, not the subsequent page.

Apparently, jQuery Mobile has a fix (https://demos.jquerymobile.com/1.2.0/docs/pages/page-titles.html) and automatically parses the title of the page pulled via Ajax and changes the title attribute of the parent document to match… but I don’t know how to use it

Shikkediel
    Participant

Why wouldn’t it update the url? There’s a line for that :

history.pushState(null, null, _href);

You don’t really need Modernizr, this’ll do the same :

if (history.pushState !== 'undefined')

Did you add that plugin to begin with by the way?

The page was written a while back, at this point it would be better to use .on() everywhere instead of .delegate() and such…

heyes
    Participant

Why wouldn’t it update the url? There’s a line for that…

I don’t know – this stuff is beyond my understanding.
    Perhaps I misunderstood how to add it… which I did as a separate script rather than add to the original.

And as regards the need for Modernizr and ‘delegate’ etc… again, I simply don’t know enough.

I’m looking for – and appreciate of – any help I can get to obtain code which will enable me to dynamically refresh part of a page and update the title appropriately.

If I could find a script to buy, I’d do so.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Modernizr is a separate plugin that you’d need to add for the code to work, otherwise that line should be replaced with the one I mentioned.

if (Modernizr.history)

if (history.pushState !== 'undefined')

Should work for the rest. A live example of your efforts would otherwise be needed at this point to do any debugging…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.