Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Unwanted space between content and sticky footer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brad Wrage
    Participant

Hi folks! I’m building a site right now that will use a full background image and a sticky footer. I’m having some trouble though with some unwanted space that I have no idea where it’s coming from. There are no margin and height on the background photo container is set to 100%. Any ideas?

Link Here:

Much thanks.

<body>

<div id="wrapper">
         <div class="top-nav">
          </div>

<section class="background-photo">

<div class="row">
        <div class="large-12 columns">
          <h1 class="hero-title">Hero</h1>
          <h2 class="header-subtitle">Description</h2>
    </div>

<div>
      <a href="#">Learn More</a>
    </div>

</div> 

</div>

css

html, body { height: 100%; }

wrapper {
      min-height: 100%;
      height: auto !important;
      height: 100%;
      margin: 0 auto -60px;
    }

wraper > *:last-child {

padding-bottom: 60px;

}

.background-photo { 
    margin-bottom: 0px !important; 
    height: 100%;    
    .hero-title { 
     color: white; 
     text-align: center; 
     padding-top: 100px; 
     } .header-subtitle { 
       color: white; 
       font-size: 24px; 
      text-align: center; 
      margin-bottom: 20px;    } }

Merri
    Participant

Is #wrapper intended to be 100% height or not have 100% height? What should be between the elements as I see it would be quite expected for there to be empty space if you’re using a sticky footer and don’t have enough content to fill the rest of the space.

Brad Wrage
    Participant

I’ve followed the example here, where the footer is in the 100% height wrapper. http://ryanfait.com/resources/footer-stick-to-bottom-of-page/

__
    Participant

A “Sticky” footer is supposed to stay at the bottom of the window when there would not otherwise be enough content to push it down. I couldn’t tell from an image, but I would suspect the problem is with your background photo… doesn’t look very “full.”

Screenshots aren’t very helpful when it comes to HTML+CSS. Can you link to your actual page? or recreate your problem on codepen?

Brad Wrage
    Participant

Ok, Codepen here. Yuu can see that the gray hero does not extend down to the bottom footer even though I have it specified at 100% height. Is there something I’m missing here?

__
    Participant

Ok, Codepen here.

No link.

One possibility is that you’re misunderstanding “100%” in terms of height—it means “100% of the container’s height,” which is determined not by the window, but by how tall its content is. Without seeing your code, I don’t know, of course; but this is a very common tripping point. In many cases, height:100% is a no-op.

Looking forward to your link.

(FYI, in your code sample above, your <section> is unclosed. Dunno if that’s contributing to your problem, or if it’s just a typo in your post.)

Brad Wrage
    Participant

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/sLkeI

Ya, just a typo in the post.

Brad Wrage
    Participant

Ok, guys simple solution here. I just set the background photo to the whole wrapper and gave the nav a z-index.

__
    Participant

Yup, that’ll work.

I just looked at your pen, and everything is working as expected—the reason your gray bg didn’t extend down to the footer is that your .background-photo doesn’t extend that far. The sticky footer just pushes the footer down by expanding the .wrapper; it doesn’t expand other content for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.