Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS unwanted space between content and footer.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    DodgeBox
    Participant

Hi there! I am currently working on a website for a project in school but I have a bit of an issue. There is a big gap in between my content and footer and I can’t find the issue. If anyone of you could help me I would very much appreciate it.
    Many thanks!

https://codepen.io/DodgeBox/pen/aPNELg

Shikkediel
    Participant

I suspect it comes from using vertical margins, it’s best to avoid them because they can have unexpected results regarding adjacent elements. Which margin is causing it exactly is unclear to me but adding overflow: hidden to #main is a quick solution – and an indication it’s a result of aforementioned margin usage.

DodgeBox
    Participant

I added the overflow: hidden to the main element but it didn’t do anything to the space inbetween the main container and the footer.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Okay, on my screen size it did make a difference but I think that was coincidental. I reckon min-height: 100% on #main is the culprit then.

DodgeBox
    Participant

This indeed helped with the big space in between but now I got a problem with, if I resize the screen to lets say for mobile, the footer comes up and floats under the content but in the middle of the screen and not at the bottom.

Shikkediel
    Participant

So if I understand correctly, you want the footer to be adjacent to div#main whenever the page height is beyond 100% of the screen height but stuck to the bottom when their is room to spare – which means there will be a gap in between.

I’m not sure I can think of a pure CSS way to do that myself…

DodgeBox
    Participant

yes that is indeed what I would like. What other way would I be able to achieve this?

wolfcry911
    Participant
    DodgeBox
    Participant

For some reason none of these 5 ways worked. I can’t seem to figure out how since I did exactly what I had to do so I guess something is interfering with it.

Shikkediel
    Participant

That’s a nice link, you weren’t really sticking with the required layout though…

codepen.io/anon/pen/zyBxKm

Edit – by the way, a div element has both width: 100% and display: block as default values so there’s no need to specify it in any additional CSS rules.

Second edit – there seems to still be an unnecessary scrollbar but it’s a step closer at least.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Fixed the second edit above with an overflow: hidden on #main. There’s probably a cleaner way though.

DodgeBox
    Participant

Thank you so much!!! This worked indeed.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Glad to lend a hand. Especially when it revives the memory of some neat CSS I know realise I’d seen before.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.