Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Unsure of permalink setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nathan05

I need some feed back as to how to determine a custom setup for permalinks … http://design-marq.com/?page_id=44 <

this is what I am going to use for my site its fairly simple … images and content will go above the nav area … basic tid bits will go on the left in the side bar … the reason I ask now is so when I am switching from the default WP template I wont have to change the perma links later …

ANY help is appreciated … cause I have been racking my brain for several days now …

TheDoc

I simply use:

/%postname%/

nathan05

Thanks Doc …

nathan05

But how were you able to come to your decision ?

chrisburton
    Participant

It’s more SEO friendly than using a numeral ID

nathan05

Well I am looking at some documentation and from what I can see or at least what from what I understand … the /%postname%/post_date%/ … may be my best option … but how do I know if that is what I am looking for I did a “private” sample post with the new permalink format … I dont see anything in the URL or below to show me if I did it right or if its working as intended …

http://design-marq.com/custom-permalinks/91/

TheDoc

Why is that your best option? I don’t understand what you’re asking. What are you trying to accomplish?

nathan05

Well … Doc … http://design-marq.com/?attachment_id=127 … here is an image of how I eventually want my site to look … based on its layout … and knowing that all my content such as images and basic info will go in the main area … with short updates maybe additional info about about an image or supporting links will go in the left column … how could does a seasoned dev determine the custom permalink that is suited for the site …

SgtLegend

Personally if i am using WordPress and need to build around the blog i use /blog/%postname%/ as the main permalink structure for articles and custom permalinks for other areas. If the blog will be integrated as part of the homepage i will just use /%postname%/ etc…

It really just depends on the type of design you plan on using and what type of SEO result you want as not all permalink structures will yield the same SEO rating.

TheDoc

I think this might be the first time someone has asked what their permalink structure should be based on a design! The design really shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

You should determine your permalink setup by the structure of the website. In other words, how do you imagine the page hierarchy to work? Do you have a site architecture built? That sort of thing.

nathan05

LOL … thanks Doc … i am just trying to get a workflow going … and sometimes it seems to be a bit overwhelming … so I will be asking a lot of questions in the next couple of days …

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.