Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Ubuntu Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Alen
    Participant

Erik, everything in due time. The responses here are fragmented and incomplete, take some time with following resources. Once you’re done reading, exploring come back with specific questions.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m so lost right now lol… starting to think this thing not worth the effort.

Dude… it is. I guarantee you it is. We’re really not even that far off here. All you need to do is configure your name and email. That’s it. Alen gave you the commands for that. Then, when you’re done with that, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24NGu1vGBiw

Erik
    Participant

OH SNAP… I entered my [sudo] password:

It wasn’t showing up but after I entered it and hit enter it worked… i was waiting for it to show me typing my password.

nixnerd
    Participant

You had to type your sudo password to git commit?

If so… you might need to perform a chmod on your home directory because that’s insane. @traq would know more since he runs Ubuntu but if that’s the default… that’s weird.

Erik
    Participant

yes… but now I stuck on the password/username stuff

Erik
    Participant

added: sudo apt-get install git-core

then got this:
    [sudo] password for erik:
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    git-core is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    erik@erik-Aspire-7551:~$

nixnerd
    Participant

sudo apt-get install git-core

Do you know what that command does?

That’s the command to install the latest version of git from the repos. The reason it’s saying it can’t install is because you already did. Now I’m confused. Did you just run this?

Erik
    Participant

This is where I’m at now..

git config –global user.email “[email protected]
    git config –global user.name “Your Name”

I enter these but nothing happens

Erik
    Participant

Yes, I just following these direction on Ubuntu

nixnerd
    Participant

Dude… then it’s probably set. You’re probably resetting it every time you do that.

Erik
    Participant

Ok, So now on to here WPScan

I get this

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock – open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Update: Had to run sudo -s to run in root

nixnerd
    Participant

Please tell me what WPScan has to do with Git. That’s where I’m super confused.

Erik
    Participant

Shit.. I guess I confused now also.. swore I read somewhere I needed it.

I’m sorry, I’m so brain fried right now.

I’m going to just walk away from all this for a few hours and come back and try again.

__
    Participant

Kinda late, I guess, but where are you now?
    and are you trying to run git, or that WPScan program?

Just to comment on a few past things,

Update: Had to run sudo -s to run in root

Do not run git with sudo unless you have a very, very specific reason for doing so. In fact, do not run anything with sudo unless you know exactly what you’re doing, and why, and that it can’t be done without sudo.

The average user should never have reason to use the sticky (-s) option: type sudo each time you need it. I know it’s annoying, but it’s supposed to be annoying. Don’t run as root. When you get more experience under your belt, you can make your own decision.

Linux has the concept of users, groups, and permissions. The “root” user is kinda like a Super-Admin account on Windows… the root user is allowed to do absolutely anything (e.g., root is even allowed to delete the linux kernel and the entire OS while it’s running. Don’t try that, though).

Ubuntu handles this a bit differently than most Linux distros: it hides the root account. When you need to do something that requires root user permissions, you have to use sudo. sudo‘s only purpose in life is to get your attention when you’re about to do something you might regret.

This is not to say that you should never use sudo. Installing programs (which is what apt-get does), for example, or changing certain admin settings. Some programs require root permissions in order to be useful as well. Just think twice: make sure you know what you’re about to do, and why you need root permissions to do it.

For git, you don’t need it (it’s a bit risky if you do it in the wrong directory, and even if not, it leads to some other annoyances later on). If you created your current repo using sudo, you might have to get rid of it (delete the hidden .git/ directory) and start over without sudo.

Erik, everything in due time. The responses here are fragmented and incomplete, take some time with following resources.

Absolutely. And don’t try to follow everyone’s advice at once. If you’re listening to Joe, for example, and I suggest something that you don’t entirely understand, wait for Joe’s feedback before trying it. It’s not that I don’t know what I’m doing, it’s that I don’t necessarily know what he’s doing. And you don’t need to get lost.

Anyhow: let us know what you’re trying to do (git vs. WPScan), and we’ll get you on the right track.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.