Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Try out my first PHP web app!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    drose379
    Participant

Hey all, Ive been working on bringing all of my PHP skills together in hopes of creating something. And Ive actually learned more then ive ever known as ive been building this. Basically right now it is a mini online community where users can sign up, post to a public forum, comment on forum posts, and message each other. Right now im just looking for people to sign up and give the sites features a test run!
    The LINK is http://codeyourweb.net/

Thank you!

__
    Participant

Registration page seemed to hang the first two times I tried it. Third time, I got the following message:

Something went wrong, please try again with only charicters ‘a-z’ and ‘0-9’. You may also use the ‘_’.

You’re not saving passwords in plain text, are you?

Also, subsequent attempts lead to this same message, even if I use only alphanumeric characters.

Trying to log in (without a valid account) hangs on login.php:

You are being logged in, please wait…

drose379
    Participant

The passwords are encrypted. If you try to log in without a valid account, it will echo out a message that says > Account not found.>

__
    Participant

If you try to log in without a valid account, it will echo out a message that says Account not found.

Hmm… it was just hanging earlier, as described. I tried again just now and it worked.

The basic functionality seems to be there, though the overall site seems rather unfinished. I haven’t looked into much beyond that… what sort of feedback are you interested in?

The passwords are encrypted.

Then why arbitrarily limit what characters can be used?

drose379
    Participant

I was just looking for feedback on the functionality of the site as of now. It really is not done but I wanted to make sure that the features I have now, that are supposed to be working do work.

__
    Participant

Well, seems to. I couldn’t really say more without seeing the code behind it.

drose379
    Participant

If your interested in seeing the code ill be glad to show it to you. You could email me @ [email protected]

chrisburton
    Participant

Why is it sooooo slow?

James Burton
    Participant

Hello

Site looks good.

drose379
    Participant

What part do you think is so slow? The log in is the only part of the page that should take more then 2 seconds to load.

__
    Participant

Login and registration each take a few seconds — usually not more than one or two, sometimes faster, but sometimes 4 or 5 seconds. And, as I said earlier, they sometimes hang.

Question: your IM list shows duplicate usernames. Are usernames not account-specific? or maybe you have a bug in the code that builds the list?

chrisburton
    Participant

The registration for me took approximately 25 seconds. Logging in took a few seconds.

drose379
    Participant

Wow, the registration query should only take less then 5 seconds. Do you think it could be because the web server the site is hosted on is slow?

drose379
    Participant

I also have to create a query on registration to make sure the username people try to register does not already exist. I think people think that their registration failed so they try it again, this could be why it is showing twice in the username list.

chrisburton
    Participant

Do you think it could be because the web server the site is hosted on is slow?

It’s possible but it’s also possible that my connection was bad or your code.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 211 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.