Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS This Should Be Simple, But I Can’t Figure it Out!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lucaswynne

I’m absolutely positioning my sidebar so it will match the height of #post_content… aka my posts.

This works on virtually every page except when the post content is shorter than the sidebar, example:

http://themeforward.com/demo2/2011/07/08/link/

(sidebar content gets cut off)

I realize if I remove overflow:hidden from #container I will see the rest of the sidebar… but this will also prevent the divs from matching height and hide the border and background color of the sidebar. Adding overflow:hidden to the sidebar itself hides the sidebar when on post pages.

I know there must be a simple way to fix this with CSS (and possibly some other div) but I have been brain-drained on this issue now for two days. I’ve tried jQuery, but I know CSS can do it (possibly with another div?). What I need is simple: to display all the sidebar content and match the column heights at the same time.

#container {
    width: 1126px;
    clear: both;
    position:relative;
    overflow:hidden;
    margin:35px auto
    }
    #sidebar {
    display:block;
    float: right;
    width: 410px;
    position:absolute;
    border-left:1px solid #000;
    background:#AAA;
    top:0;
    right:0;
    bottom:0
    }
    lucaswynne

Thanks for the response Josh. Actually, I need their heights to match so the sidebar needs to be positioned absolutely to achieve this with CSS. I need to find a way to make the sidebar content still expand to show all content even while using overflow:hidden on #container.

lucaswynne

I’m building a WordPress theme with options including switching the position of the sidebar. I want to be able to have the border on the sidebar expand to the height of the sidebar/post content (whichever is taller) without using the trick of just adding a background image to the container.

lucaswynne

For future reference (and Google searchers) the solution can be found here: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.