Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript The Loop. How can I grab most recent post from CATEGORY?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AngryMan
    Participant

I watched The Loop video twice and took a bunch of notes.

I can’t even figure out how to pull in a post from a specific category. Based on my notes I took, I thought it would be something like this:

That code and 5 hours worth of variations of this code gives me nothing but the desire to jump out of a window.

Can someone please tell me how to grab the TITLE and IMAGE from the MOST RECENT POST in a SPECIFIC CATEGORY?

Thank you. I hope to receive your instructions before the three days wait is up on a gun purchase with which I plan to blow my brains out.

TheDoc

The query has to come first. This is from the Snippet section on this very site:

AngryMan
    Participant

You’ve made AngryMan pretty happy. Unfortunately, I did figure that out slightly before finding this answer, though much later than you posted it. Oh well, something to be said for self-discovery, I suppose.

Now, I just need to figure out how to grab THE IMAGE only. Maybe there is a the_image(); function… will work on this tomorrow. Mind needs rest. Thanks again.

TheDoc

If you used the wonderful featured image function, then you would use:

If you have put it in the body area of the post/page, you’ll be able to check if the post has any attachments to it and it gets slightly complicated from there. I would definitely use the featured image function!

AngryMan
    Participant

AngryMan is going home happy. The kids will not be beaten tonight. Thank you. :)

PS. I jest about child abuse! HA! I have no kids!

PPS – Seriously, thank you very much! I was getting so frustrated today. It is good to see that I accomplished something… by finally asking the right person for help!

TheDoc

Hey no problem! That’s what this forum is for!

AngryMan
    Participant

So, I tried this and it’s not showing anything:

Is there something wrong with this code?
    Do I need an echo or something instead of just
    ???

When I added the image to the post, I clicked the Featured Image link and then the Insert Image button. Is there something else I need to do to make this a Featured Image in order to work?

AngryMan
    Participant

I’m starting from Chris Coyier’s “Personal Homepage Theme” from the video tutorial, btw, so it’s possible that if that code looks right and if I added the Featured Image correctly that his theme simply does not support Featured Images. Which seems very possible since I remember he cut a lot of default WP options out of his theme.

AngryMan
    Participant

Yeah… crud, that seems to be the case. Anyone know of a better blank theme than Starkers? The way the index.php grabs a loop.php just seems like a convoluted mess to me.

TheDoc

It’s no problem! Just open up your functions.php and add the thumbnail support. I’m going to post one that I just used in a project:

// post thumbnail support
    if ( function_exists( 'add_image_size' ) ) add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );

if ( function_exists( 'add_image_size' ) ) {
    add_image_size( 'featured-stylist', 220, 220, true );
    add_image_size( 'photo-gallery', 130, 130, true );
    add_image_size( 'stylist-detail', 253, 323, true );
    add_image_size( 'stylist-listing', 150, 150, true );
    }

You’ll notice that I set up a bunch of different sizes. This is because I don’t want the images to be the same size on different templates.

In each template I am able to call a specific size by going like this:

If you add new sizes after an image has already been uploaded, you’ll have to re-upload your images. But wait! There’s a lovely plugin that goes through all of your images and recreates all of the thumbnails for you – phew!

After you’ve added the thumbnail functionality, you should see a “Set Featured Image” link on the right of your visual editor when editing a post or page in the WordPress backend.

AngryMan
    Participant

Oh cool! In the meantime, I had found a simpler version:

add_theme_support( ‘post-thumbnails’ );
    /*set_post_thumbnail_size( 80, 55, true ); // W x H, hard crop if you want the thumbnails to automatically crop*/

but yours is way better, obviously!

Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.