Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Switch to Angular worth losing non-js users?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bearhead
    Participant

I have my portfolio website on github pages: http://kylavana.github.io/
    Everything is hard coded currently, but I’m considering using Angular to make it easier to maintain the portfolio section. The main drawback to Angular is that the portfolio wont show up for non-js users.

Is it worth ignoring non-js users to make things easier to maintain? Has anyone else been involved in a similar situation?

It’s a github page so php is not an option. I also don’t think jekyll makes sense for my case (single-page website and no blog), but maybe I’m wrong about that?

Shikkediel
    Participant

The amount of web surfers that purposely eliminate all JS is likely very small. Then there’s people like me that use NoScript but can enable a page easily. And once in a decade a script might still get lost in transition. All together a few percent at max (and getting smaller while mobile usage is still growing), for whom you could provide a simple alternative page using <noscript> tags, both for HTML and CSS. Hinting to them that the page looks great with scripting enabled. I suppose the bigger question is if you can ignore the inner purist enough to go with an all JS framework. ;-)

Shikkediel
    Participant

In any case it would be good to add Angular to your skill set, I’ve noticed from the little bit I messed around with it that it’s actually quite complicated when having more of a jQuery background.

Shikkediel
    Participant

If Google is any measure of things, then I suppose it’s no issue at all. If only everyone would be as whimsical and considerate about it… as a NoScript and uMatrix user I often end up with an empty page, eternal spinner or a temporary flash and then nothingness.

screenshot

bearhead
    Participant

ok, cool thanks for the responses. I’ll probably switch to angular then… like you wrote, it is a good library to learn.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.