Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Stretchable overlay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dear,

I have a container (margin: 0 auto;) and an overlay div.

I want to position the overlay div in the middle of the page, but also make it stretched to the right side of the screen.

For the moment i have:

#container {
    margin : 0 auto;
    width: 900px;
    position:relative;
    }
    #overlay {
    position:absolute;
    right: 450px;
    width: 9999px;
    padding-right: 9999px;
    }

(and #overlay is a child of #container in the html).

The only problem with this code, is that I have a scrollbar on the screen (because of the padding).

Visual:

Ps. What I want is actually kind of the #logo-element on the frontpage of css-tricks.com.

Kind regards,
    Bram

Here is how I would do it: http://jsfiddle.net/sl1dr/6qGAp/

First: thanks for responding.

Second: I need to adjust my question a bit, consider the #overlay is not positioned at 50% but relative to the container, so for example

#container {
    margin : 0 auto;
    width: 900px;
    position:relative;
    }
    #overlay {
    position:absolute;
    right: 350px;
    width: 9999px;
    padding-right: 9999px;
    }

PS. I didn’t know you could use a left and right position at the same time, thanks ;)

Well as you have content disappearing off the right hand side of the screen scrollbars will naturally occur. You could use overflow-x: hidden; on the body element, but that is dangerous territory, and if your design isn’t responsive then it’s no good.

I have also thought of that, and it’s my emergency solution ;), but the #logo-element on the frontpage of css-tricks.com is done without that, and I can’t figure out how.

Ah, the negative margin, positive padding trick works fine on the left hand side of the page, just not the right. That being said, Chris uses absolute positioning (as I did in my demo above).

So it will only work on the left-side?

It will only work on the right with overflow-x: hidden; set on a parent element (e.g. body).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.