Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other STATUS on true live editing code

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    strages

Hey you guys (and gals),

Wondering what the status at the moment is on true live editing of code. What I mean with this is the following:

With the current rise of apps and extensions such as: mixture ,codekit, hammer, livereload, tincr etc, There is still a gap that’s left between editing with these tools and editing within for example the chrome devtools.

When editing html or css within devtools, there is a true live editing experience. With this I mean there is not even the slightest hint of reloading of content going on.

Currently this is only possible within devtools, at least as far as I know. What about live editing pre processed css and html. etc What is currently in development and what can we expect?

Mottie

Have you tried out [codepen](http://codepen.io/)?

Paulie_D

I think Brackets from Adobe has live updating.

JoniGiuro
    Participant

Personally I’m against live updating. I want to see the page refresh, so the eye will immediately catch elements that move or go “out of place” after a certain change in code. I think live updating increases the risk of errors

strages

@mottie yes of course, but this isn’t live editing. The iframe with the result will refresh. Not that it isn’t freaking awesome! Curious what the new enhancements will be!

@Paulie_D
    Yep true, didn’t mention this. However brackets only supports live editing for css. No html and no preprocessors

@JoniGiuro
    Interesting point, however having the option to develop in both ways would be optimal for me. Instantaneous updating/editing gets rid of the time needed while waiting for refresh (even if its nearly as fast).

The optimal solution right now would be a mix between brackets/sublime text/devtools with option to refresh or instanteneous editing with support for preprocessing.

Paulie_D

>The optimal solution right now would be a mix between brackets/sublime text/devtools with option to refresh or instantaneous editing with support for preprocessing.

…and if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :)

strages

> …and if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :)

haha! That’s what I call “room for improvement?” …. pretty plz :P

strages

got some new info on this one:

got to try out http://getedge.io/

this together with anvil for mac, is a really nice and quick environment for testing out sass :)

ah and know that this is instantly updating without saving or refreshing the page.

for fancy transitions while updating the styles use:

*{transition:1s all ease-out;}

stevencrader

Code will auto-reload the page after updating the file (pressing save) http://incident57.com/codekit/ and handles preprocessors.

strages

yep but that isn’t the “instant” updating I am taling about ;)

strages

oops, codekit does it sort of with live style injection ;) my bad

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.