Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Start page not home page help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    imgaryshap
    Participant

Hi All, I’m a noob to coding and website design. I have an animation that i want to play when visitors first visit the site. That animation – once it plays – will then automatically dissolve into the home page.

This animation only shows up when visiting the site for the first time or hitting refresh on the home page.

where do i begin?

thanks so much!

Paulie_D

Oh…It sounds like you want someone to write this?

That’s not what we do….I suggest you do a lot of research, try a few things, write some code and, if you still can’t get it to work, make a minimal demo in Codepen.io for us to take a look at.

If you do have something already….then a demo is still in order.

imgaryshap
    Participant

no – i don’t want anyone to write it. I’m starting my research here, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I’ve looked up many similar questions like mine on this site (i.e., how do you make pages fade in and out) and have come away with great links and code recommendations.

Shikkediel
    Participant

You must undoubtedly have some HTML at least? The next question would be – what are you using for animation, CSS or JS? Best to share what you’ve done.

As I read it, you would need JS in any case – sessionStorage that is, to keep track of the page load count of the current visit.

imgaryshap
    Participant

there is a question and either i’m not articulating it well or you aren’t understanding me.

I’d like a web site when first visiting it ,to be an animation. imagine a moving logo. when the logo / animation stops, the final frame dissolves into what is the official home page (because the final frame of the animation and the home page are exactly the same image). you would not see this animation again when page hopping around the site.

i once created this using a web building app called Hype. i’m trying to teach myself how to do it from scratch.

I’m wondering where to begin? what’s the best resource to learn about creating – for lack of a better word – first page that only gets activated on first visits or complete reloads?

Paulie_D

what’s the best resource to learn about creating first page that only gets activated on first visits or complete reloads?

A pretty broad question.

Depends…you’ll definitely need to know javascript, or at least Jquery or a similar library.

It entirely depends on what kind of animation you’re talking about.

Offhand…just google “landing page animations” and “tutorials”…a lot.

Research, research, research…and then, more research.

imgaryshap
    Participant

this is a start I found:
    <script language=”javascript” type=”text/javascript”>
    window.setTimeout(‘window.location=”main.html”; ‘,3000);
    </script>

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

You can look into browser cookies to handle the animation playing only on the user’s first visit. In general, Paulie is right— it’s tough to answer something so broad but it does sound like you’re making an effort which is appreciated ’round these parts.

Maybe since you’re not yet able to build a demo yourself you can find someone who’s implemented something similar? That way you have something you can try to deconstruct and learn from instead of trying to start from scratch.

imgaryshap
    Participant

here’s my site. very VERY basic. i’m self taught…

http://www.cadence.productions

imgaryshap
    Participant

now – using safari and chrome – when first visiting the site you should see an animate gif that automatically goes into the home page. but i’m noticing that when i hop around and come back to the home page – there’s a delay before the hyperlinks appear at the top of the screen.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Hey man props on getting that working. I’m using the site in Chrome and I’m not able to see the delay you’re talking about (or I’m not understanding what you’re saying).

You may be best served taking a screen capture to show us. I’m guessing since you’re using Safari you’re on a mac, I’ve used RecordIt in the past for that sort of thing (http://recordit.co/).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.