Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design spreading out scholarly content horizontally, like a book

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drone4four
    Participant

When Windows 8 first came out back in 2012, I remember trying out a tablet in one of Microsoft’s retail stores which featured a polished, flat (Metro based) native touch-application which used well designed custom CSS for Wikipedia. Rather than scrolling vertically like most of us do in our web browsers, the CSS spread Wikipedia entries out horizontally, the way you would read a traditional physical paper and ink book. It was a really nice alternate CSS implementation for Wikipedia. I can’t for the life of me find it now. I went back to the Microsoft retail outlet since and on a tablet tried downloading the three different Wikipedia apps available in the Microsoft app-store and none of these three apps function the way I just described. Is there a specific name for this flat type of horizontal content management for spreading out long form books or scholarly material horizontally in a browser? Is there a Javascript / CSS web framework which achieves all of the above? What about a WordPress or Drupal plugin? Amazon’s Kindle book reader app for my Android device sort of functions as I’ve described, like you navigate pages horizontally. But this Metro app I speak of parsed /Wikipedia’s/ HTML elegantly. You can’t get Wikipedia in Kindle yet. ha!

Atelierbram
    Participant

Maybe try a combination of overflow-x: scrollon the outer content wrapper, and CSS Regions (with a javascript polyfill for unsupportive browsers).

Resources

drone4four
    Participant

Thank-you, @Atelierbram for these resources. This thread isn’t getting many other replies. It’s been a few weeks but this Design Den sub-forum is a inactive compared to CSS Combat. Would my initial question receive more attention in another sub-forum? Where else in terms of tech forums on the net would you recommend, Atelierbram?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Codepen has some demos on regions by Adobe. When you would fork this pen and adapt it to your liking, then there is a good chance you will have some helpful replies when posting this with a specific question on the CSS-Combat, or Javascript-Jungle forums.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.