Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS So my website..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brightonmike

I’m not freelance, so I don’t need a website to “sell” my services, hence you won’t find any smarmy headlines and calls to action here – but pretty much just some of my work, and a blog.

I built it on Roots, which I love. I’ve found Bootstrap a little fiddly but once you get the hang of it, it’s lovely to work with. BS and Roots were possibly overkill for such a simple site, but I wanted an excuse to use them and it gives me the option to add to the site in future without having to write out tons of CSS. Now that I’ve worked with this framework, I am looking to use it for my next project.

I’m sure there’s all sorts of things people can nitpick at, but to be honest I just wanted to share it with you, and I do hope you all like it, and my work!

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Thanks.

karlpcrowley
    Participant

Wow, I love it, nothing bad to say
    What CMS are you using if any?

Brightonmike

Good ole’ WordPress. And thank you! :)

karlpcrowley
    Participant

Thought that, but chrome sniffer didn’t pick it up
    Starkers theme?

Brightonmike

Roots :)

TheDoc

Looks good! I’m getting a weird bug where when I hover on the items on the home page I’m only getting the hand cursor some of the time, so I wasn’t sure if they were clickable or not.

If comments are closed (like they are on the portfolio items), I would simply remove the ‘Comments are closed’ message. Nobody needs to know that they could be open!

polson1000
    Participant

Very nice! Are you converting PSD mock ups into these WordPress powered designs or working within the structure of the underlying theme?

Love it! My only recommendation would be to have your blog as the landing page. After all, you aren’t freelancing.

SMac

Very Nice…

Brightonmike

Thanks for all the feedback, really glad you all like it.

@TheDoc
    , that’s weird. What browser? I’ll see if I can re-create.

@polson1000
    , I don’t use Photoshop for any of my work. I will be writing a blog post soon as to why, but I am very much one of these “in-browser” designer types. I just find it easier to work straight with CSS in-browser.

@joshuanhibbert
    You’re probably right, although I felt my blog was a little thin on the ground right now. When I’ve got some more posts up I will probably switch them around.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I am really happy with it and I’d thoroughly recommend Roots.

TheDoc

I’m seeing it in Chrome.

HoughtonA
    Participant

I like it!

I might make the top menu buttons change based on whatever page is being viewed, though.

Brightonmike

I don’t think having page dependent menu’s is a good idea if I’m honest, it’s confusing for users and this site is so simple.

I’m unable to replicate this cursor issue in Chrome. It’s just a normal list gallery, there’s nothing different about it apart from the transitions.

I can’t help but get the feeling this is a browser bug with the transitions, as in because the image moves it causes some sort of issue with the placement of the link.

I can’t see anything wrong with my syntax though so I don’t know why it would do that.

Site should be fine in landscape view on a tablet, though I need to adjust the gallery. However I do plan to make it work for portrait view too, just need to add the media queries. Thanks for the heads up!

HoughtonA
    Participant

@karlpcrowley
    Yep, exactly what I meant. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Brightonmike

Maybe, although it does say you are on the blog page or the about page!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.