Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Simple HTML form requesting username and password

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    santiago

I’m hoping the powers of this board can come to the rescue once again for me. I’ve searched the forum here and through Google, but I cannot find a solution to one problem I am having in two separate places on a site of mine.

I have a simple contact form (link) and a registration form (link) that when the user clicks the submit button, an Authentication Required pop-up window appears stating “A username and password are being requested by http://scottmathieson.com. The site says: “:” and it asks for a username and password to be entered like it seeking admin-level permission. Then when you click cancel a blank page appears with http://scottmathieson.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/contact.html as the address. (there is no _vti_bin folder or exe file in the root.

I am more of a form novice, but have done a handful of them and this is the first time I’ve had this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the server extensions (I use MS Expression Web) without luck. I did notice that when I right-click> View Source, there is a lot of extra code that is not visible while I have the code up in EW.

Both of these forms worked for a good month or two before this happened.

I have no idea where to go so any and all thoughts appreciated.

– Scott

Bob

Do you have a .htaccess file anywhere on your website? Check to see if it has any restrictions for the pages you are trying to submit your forms to.
    Also, do you have any code for the /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/contact.html page? I can’t view it, but there might be some errors in that one.

One thing I can suggest is rebuilding these forms in a proper code editor, like Notepad++. I don’t know about MS Expression Web as I don’t know it, but if it’s like MS Frontpage, it will add code you don’t need to your pages. Notepad++ won’t do that.

santiago

As I mentioned, there is no /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/contact.html page. The form code on my page is as follows:

Though when you click view source from the actual page, it comes up as:

I can see where it is inserting the _vti_bin/shtml.exe/contact.html but I need to figure out how I can keep it from doing so...

Bob

Well it appears to be something to do with Frontpage Server Extensions after a quick Google search. Like I said, rebuild those forms with a proper code editor, and it will work normally. How are you uploading your files? With an FTP program or via the publish function in MS Expression web?

On the other hand it, it should work by just replacing that action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" value I think. To what page do you want your form to go after clicking the submit button? Use that as the action="" value. Say you want it to go to the page /submitted.php, replace the line

with

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.