The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Programming Fundamentals" Dec 02 - 2:00 PM Eastern

Simple framework features…?

• # April 29, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This thread over [here]( got me thinking about a simple CSS framework I’m working on (which is over [here]( – very much WIP so don’t judge too harshly), where I basically have the aim to create something that will let me roll out projects more quickly (will port to a WordPress starter theme, for example) but isn’t loaded down with every feature under the sun like the majority of “frameworks” seem to be.

So reading that other thread, I thought, hmm, that masonry Jquery thing would be cool to have. But then where do I stop adding features until it becomes bloated like every other framework?

So thought I’d get some feedback here, on what folk would regard as the basic “essentials” of a very clean, simple, lean CSS framework?

# April 30, 2013 at 12:39 am

Something like Masonry would be way too much, I think.

I really dislike frameworks for the reasons you listed. They are just so bloated and you have to spend so much time stripping them down.

# April 30, 2013 at 1:24 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Indeed. Maybe once I work out what should go into the “core” I can then create “add ons” for various features? Hmm….

Anyway, first to work out what to include in the core…

# April 30, 2013 at 2:03 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I’d say that the “core” should be stuff such as simple styling of most common elements, and the grid you’re already working on.

My personal view is that a framework should not be detailing colours and such, and if they do it’s better to use Less/Sass/Stylus to declare some kind of variables and work from there.

Having a framework to scaffold a project is a great idea (I tend to start 90% of my projects with including typeplate and normalizr, for instance), but then it should only scaffold. Not set fonts, colours, etc, unless it’s to ensure consistency over browsers (IE normalizr is fine, I tend to dislike Bootstrap).

# April 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I’m with the @TheDoc on this. I dislike frameworks just for that reason. The only “framework” I use is a basic reset.

However, I think @Melindrea has an intelligent idea. A SASS/SCSS framework actually sounds like something I’d be highly interested in (specifically variables/mixins).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed