Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Should I ditch my desktop environment?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

So, this is a post for other Linux users.

I’m one of the few people that likes Gnome 3. But… I’m considering JUST using a badass Window manager. Does anyone else do this?

It seems that it would be SUPER lightweight and I don’t use anything that is specific to Gnome.

What are your thoughts?

__
    Participant

Personally, I don’t see any reason to ditch the desktop unless you’re running a bare-bones machine (and even then…). Are you really in a position where this would have such an impact?

Unless you just want to. : )

I use cinnamon, which is probably one of the heaviest Linux desktops out there. Running on the CPU (i.e., without a graphics card), it’s almost unusable. (Don’t ask how I found out. I’m not tempting fate.) But under normal circumstances, it doesn’t cause any problems at all. And it still runs circles around windows.

__
    Participant

Go for it, then. : )

nixnerd
    Participant

I hate to resurrect this dead thread but:

I use cinnamon, which is probably one of the heaviest Linux desktops out there… under normal circumstances, it doesn’t cause any problems at all. And it still runs circles around windows.

Just switched to Cinnamon after I found out 2.0 has great tiling functionality. Before that, I tried Gnome 3 (which I’ve used for about a year), Awesome WM and Openbox.

Gotta say, I LOVE Cinnamon. It does everything I need it to do and themeing in CSS?! Can’t beat it. I guess technically Gnome 3 themes are styled in CSS but I never bothered to mess with it.

I’m about 50% done with HEAVILY editing Nimux Shell and GTK themes. It’s looking really good. Plus, Cinnamon tiles about as well as Awesome but I can float them easier if I need to do some responsive testing or whatever.

Anyway… Arch Linux + Cinnamon FTW!!!

__
    Participant

less than 30 days to go from “minimalist nerd factor” to “I LOVE Cinnamon”

…lol

But since we’re on the subject of unexpected reversals, I have to admit that I am less violently opposed to Unity of late.

nixnerd
    Participant

Good for you. I’ve done my share of work in Unity and I’m not a fan. But to each his own.

I really wanted a tiling window manager but when you float a window, they are less than stellar. I found Awesome to be a little buggy and I cannot afford to not be able to float well. I mean, half of what I do is coding for various screen sizes so… that’s not gonna work.

Openbox was really nice but it didn’t tile and it was kind of a lot of work to get configured. I suppose you could run DWM and Openbox but I haven’t tried.

The other thing is… my machine is pretty fast and has a good video card. I don’t really need to worry about performance and Cinnamon gives me everything I need. I think it has a ton of eye candy and can be configured to do whatever you need it to.

You won me over by reminding me that it’s still gonna totally destroy Windows in terms of performance so who cares?

If I had a crappier computer, I’d probably run something else but I don’t… so I wont.

nixnerd
    Participant

The only thing I’ll say is this: I wish I could uninstall Nemo… or figure out how. I would even take Nautilus over it. It seems awkward.

I really want to try ButterFS and compression. I’m sure if I edit some config file somewhere I can make Cinnamon utilize whatever FS I want right? Then I can ditch Nemo?

Are you still running Arch on the BBB?

__
    Participant

I’m comfortable with Nemo – happy with it, even, especially when it comes to working over SSH. What’s lacking, in your view?

…I can make Cinnamon utilize whatever FS I want right? Then I can ditch Nemo?

I’m sure. I don’t know where to start with that, exactly.

Are you still running Arch on the BBB?

Yes. I haven’t done much more with it lately, though.

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t think it falls short at all. It’s more of a comfort issue for me. I’m probably too visually driven but it doesn’t “look” familiar to me. I’ll give it time.

For whatever reason, I love gnome clients… even though they suck. Gnome terminal does nothing. It doesn’t even support transparency anymore. But it’s really clean and not distracting. Same with Nautilus. It doesn’t have as many features as Nemo and nowhere near as many as ButterFS… I guess I just like it.

I need to quit all that though and go with what will make me more productive.

For example… I generally have 3 terminal tabs open. It would be better if they were divided into tiles. Therefore, I’m making the switch to Terminator. I can live with Nemo.

I gotta say… Guake is AWESOME. It’s just not as configurable as Terminator.

Sorry… I keep pumping life into this thread with asides and rabbit trails.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.