Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other SCSS to CSS – Minified & Remote Automation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    avidrunner
    Participant

As soon as I click save on the .SCSS file, I would like my minified .CSS file to also upload automatically onto the server too.

Is there any way to do this? I use Sublime Text 3 for both PC / Mac and I work remotely on the server using the SFTP plugin. I am hoping this automation while editing remotely can be achieved somehow as it would be a huge time saver.

Thanks!

shaneisme
    Participant

There are probably grunt and gulp tasks that do this too. There’s also hubot.

That said, I don’t recommend just pushing hot code after you’ve saved it unless you’re pushing to a development environment of some kind.

avidrunner
    Participant

I went with ExpanDrive for remote editing and CodeKit for minifying the CSS, it seems to be doing the trick nicely for remote editing on Mac!

I also like that ExpanDrive and Sublime Text are PC apps too. I will have to find a replacement for CodeKit that works on PC for SASS -> CSS automation. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paulie_D

I will have to find a replacement for CodeKit

Try Prepos…it does all preprocessing that out of the box AFAIK.

The you upload as required…it doesn’t have FTP (at least it didn’t last time I looked).

http://www.Prepros.io

Senff
    Participant

Prepros does have an upload feature, but not automatically-as-you-save.

avidrunner
    Participant

Thanks! Prepros is what I will use for PC. It’s alright that it doesn’t upload to the server, I can do that using ExpanDrive. From what I am reading CodeKit seems to be the better app for Mac, and I have already purchased it so I think I will remain a customer. So far Prepros seems to look very similar and perhaps it has been updated in the recent months. I’ll give it a shot for Mac as well to see which one I prefer. But it’s great to know there is an option for PCs!

Thanks!

Paulie_D

What is actually the point of using CodeKit?

Because it did all those things before the others existed… and yes, having it all in one package is often more appealing…and people who have it like it and don’t like change.

As for me, I dunno. I’m a PC user and will never get to use Codekit….but human nature being what it is…

shaneisme
    Participant

What is actually the point of using CodeKit?

It’s easy :)

avidrunner
    Participant

I found a free alternative that works on PC / Mac. It’s called Koala. http://koala-app.com/

Seems to work great too!

Alen
    Participant

@Joe_Temp CodeKit is to Build Process as XAMPP is to Web Dev Environment. I don’t know if that makes sense. Some people are just not comfortable with the command line and managing dependencies, so there’s CodeKit. It serves the purpose. ShopTalk did a show with the creator when they released the new version.

__
    Participant

I know I’m a bit late to this part of the convo:

That said, I don’t recommend just pushing hot code after you’ve saved it unless you’re pushing to a development environment of some kind.

^– this this this –^

~~~
    less late:

CodeKit is to Build Process as XAMPP is to Web Dev Environment

That makes total sense to me. From what I know of codekit, I don’t doubt it for a minute, either.

Alen
    Participant

you can bulk compress every png file in a directory and stip out all the meta data on those bloated things

shaneisme
    Participant

No, it came out before the rise of the preprocessors. It has improved over time because of them.

Chris has a good video on what it’s all about (a bit old).

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/111-get-yourself-preprocessing-in-just-a-few-minutes/

Also:

https://css-tricks.com/codekit-2-0/

Alen
    Participant

Node package manager does not seem to be working for me

@Joe_Temp
    Try

• npm -v, checks npm version
    • npm install npm -g, updates npm, g is for Globally

If you need to install/compile new version of Node, try this guide.

Alen
    Participant

it was blocking an Arch upgrade/update

Could be that one of the PPA keys was invalid. What error are you getting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.