Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Review My Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Utkarsh Bhimte
    Participant

I am a beginner Web Developer. I have made this basic website, Click here, which is basically a Registration Form for a College Side-Courses. I am open to criticism.

rkieru
    Participant

Your formatting for the URL is broken, I’m pasting the correct URL below for anyone else who wishes to review your site:

https://utkarshbhimte.github.io/DashBoard-Prototype-2/

My initial feeling is that it’s hard to critique, because many design elements seem to be missing. That being said, here are some things that stood out to me.

The scrolling effect is very nice, and very smooth – but without any graphics wrapping your content into sections it feels very empty. I love well though out whitespace, but the amount here is so vast that your content suffers.

The fonts are huge. I’m on a 27″ 5k iMac and your navigational font size is almost the same size as your content headers. Additionally, those navigational items don’t ‘behave’ like navigations. I’d love to see a hover transition so I know that these are links.

Your “Go to Top” button doesn’t actually go to the top. My expectation would be that it would go right back up to the top so I can see the navigation. It seems to be going below and I have to then scroll up to see the navigation. Perhaps you should make the navigation affixed to the top so it is always visible?

I see that you’re using Animate.css and I love that animation framework. Did you know that there is a jQuery plugin to help applying those animations during key events? You can find it here:

https://github.com/craigmdennis/animateCSS

It’s a bit dated but I’ve used it on a few projects. Helps to avoid writing redundant code.

Utkarsh Bhimte
    Participant

Thanks for your review. I will surely look into your those points. but can you explain what did you meant when you said “many design elements seem to be missing.”? What are these Design Elements I am missing here.

rkieru
    Participant

Take your primary panel, for example. The only content in this area is your welcome header, a brief line of subtext, and your “Go to Top” button. For the type of site you’ve created here, the expectation would be that this area (which takes up the entire viewport) would have something more.

By ‘more’ I mean a background image… some other snazzy “Hey look at how WOW this is!” element. Instead as a visitor I’m presented some brief somewhat-informative text on a sea of white.

Consider this example of another one-page website: http://tympanus.net/Freebies/Synthetica/

The use of graphical elements against minimal text helps to immerse the viewer and present a level of design that elevates the site as a whole. What you’ve created is functional, but barren… which is why I feel it difficult to critique from a design perspective. All the structure is present – but the UX is missing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.