Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Responsive webdesign

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mustafa

Hey guys

Ive been reading a lot about responsive webdesign, i was wondering what the general community felt about it and if this is where the industry is going? I have mixed feelings about it but im not sure if they are justified. im just interested in what you guys have to say about it.

jamygolden

I think it’s great and I think it will be used more and more. What don’t you like about it?

Mottie

There is a contest at 10K Apart on responsive web design, check out some of the submissions to better understand why it’s so great! I’d submit something if I can come up with a good idea, and make it under 10k ;)

mustafa

My problem with fluid layouts in general is that you may want to design something specific and you may not want it to move around, for example form fields i feel should be fixed as when they are fluid and move look silly on larger screens. But i have to be honest as i write this my head is also telling me that the web isnt a fixed environment and sites should be designed in that context. i dont know i guess im used to fixed and fluid sites always seem to look wrong to me some how :D

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I feel like:

design something specific and you may not want it to move around

is a fairly reasonable feeling to have. You aren’t forced to used responsive design but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. Imagine your site on a mobile phone – is it perfect the way it is? probably not. Imagine your site on a giant monitor – could you have used that space better? probably.

If something “looks silly”, then use your mad designer skillz to desillify it.

mustafa

thanks for feed back guys, I guess its about the brief and not so much the technology. Thanks again guys :)

TheDoc

I wonder if there will ever come a point where we start with a mobile design and then design for larger screens.

mustafa

Well with growing trends there was some stats that by 2014 mobile will take over desktop so it is possible, funny thought :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.