The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Replace Entire divs with Jvascript

• Anonymous
    # February 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I want to replace an entire div with another using this type of javascript code

function myFunction()
    x.innerHTML=”div replaced”;

Although im not sure how to do it. Ive done it with text but never with styled divs. It’s to replace the iframe on this website [WEBSITE]( “”)

If there’s an easier, more effective way of doing this im open to suggestions.

# February 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm

When you say replace…how will this happen?

On a click or something else?

Are you replacing one iframe with another?

If JS were turned off…would you want the new content to show anyway?

# February 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm

@Paulie_D I’m simply replacing a div depending on the navigation bar that is clicked. I’m not replacing iframes. You can see the text inside the ribbon change when a navigation tab is clicked. Thats basically what i want to do but with divs instead. And it will happen on onclick=”myFunction()”

# February 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Not sure what you want but you can use html in the string you set innerHTML to, and style that html however you want.

# February 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

@Jarolin After looking at your site, I noticed that you are using a separate JS function to update the ribbon for every button in the navigation bar. This is highly inefficient and it can be done with one function/event in JS. I whipped up a pen for you: Tell us if you need more help!

# February 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

@srig Thanks. i Knew there was an easier way but i’m still learning Javascript. Are there any other problems you see with my code?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed