Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Renaming my business: what about these names?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joanne Masterson
    Participant

Hi all

I am renaming my web design and marketing business

I’d like the new name to reflect some meaning (I’m good and worpress and copywriting)

The current name is BlueJ Projects – which doesn’t say anything about web design. It’s hard for people to remember correctly, too (most people don’t read the “J”)

Criteria for the new name – 15-ish char or less before .com – easy to hear and remember correctly – meaningful

Some feedback I’ve gotten already

1) Use my name
    – JoanneMasterson.com
    – MastersonWebDesign.com

2) Don’t use my name
    – WordMasterWebDesign.com
    – WordSmithWebDesign.com

What do you think of these?

Your feedback on what sounds good and makes sense is really appreciated.

chrisburton
    Participant

I prefer your actual name (JoanneMasterson.com). It appears more personal, inviting and easier to remember than the other options. Of course there are downsides to each on the business end but overall, that is what I prefer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like MastersonWebDesign.com It has a nice ring to it, uses your name which gives the potential customer a feeling of personal service, and tells people what your business is about right off.

Joanne Masterson
    Participant

Thank you Chris and Michael! Every little bit of feedback helps.

__
    Participant

I’m with @chrisburton.

nixnerd
    Participant

+1 to @ChrisBurton. There are PLENTY of industries where it makes sense to have a catchy or creative name. For example, if you were a full-blown creative agency with partners and staff… then have a crazy name.

If on the other hand you are a one person shop… just do business with your name.

This has SEVERAL practical benefits. Your social media profiles are automatically linked to your business, making it easier for people to find you. You don’t have to register a DBA or LLC although the latter might make sense for legal/financial reasons.

I would say use your name.

Joanne Masterson
    Participant

Joe, Josh, Traq, Chris, Michael.

Thanks so much. Good thing my name was available as a URL. Excellent input – much appreciated.

jainhost
    Participant

Your domain name represents a part of your business identity – something customers and business associates can recognize, remember, and positively associate with your services or products. Good decision,luckily you got your domain name, I wish best of luck for all the web development industry professionals.

dyr
    Participant

I’d have to agree with the other comments here.

I’d like the new name to reflect some meaning (I’m good and worpress and copywriting)

I seriously mean nothing by it but I found it humorous that you’re good at WordPress and copywriting but typo’d the word “and” as well as “WordPress.” Fine in this context, damning in another.

:)

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joanne, At least you were able to snag yours. I was quoted $7,000 to purchase chrisburton.com.

@dyr, Ha!

Joanne Masterson
    Participant

@dyr, thank you for this:

I found it humorous that you’re good at WordPress and copywriting but typo’d the word “and” as well as “WordPress.”

I am terrible at proofreading.

Paulie_D

I would also assume that ” copywriting” should be two words?

:)

Joanne Masterson
    Participant

$7000! Wow, @chrisburton that reflects well on you.

Ok, so there are a few famous Chris Burton’s beside you. (But it’s YOUR twitter profile atop the list of chrisburtons)

That’s a ringing endorsement if ever there was one about the value of your name as a brand, when people like what you do.

__
    Participant

“Adrian.com” has been available from time to time, but it’s in the 30k range.

Admittedly, it’s available with my last name, but I wouldn’t make anyone try to spell that : )

Ahh, if only I had been a bigger nerd back in the days when you could get a domain name just by asking for it…

nixnerd
    Participant

Ahh, if only I had been a bigger nerd back in the days when you could get a domain name just by asking for it…

Yeah… I hear that. When I lived in Florida, there was a local Pest Control company called “Hulett Pest Control.” They own bugs.com.

For projects… there are still a decent about of .io domains available. That’s cool I guess. But it doesn’t really work for names.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.