The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Pulling content from one WP site into another

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #33079

    I have a client that has an existing 200 or so page website built in WordPress. He’s expanding his business into a new city and wants to create a second website using the same theme and about 95% of the content from the original site. The other 5% of the pages would be tailored to the new location.

    We could duplicate the site completely, then customize the pages needed for the second location, but I’m trying to see if there’s a way to pull that 95% of the page content from site one into site two… so that any updates to the content would only have to be made once.

    Chris Coyier

    If the sites are on the same server, you can always connect to the databases of the other sites, run queries, and pull data from them. WordPress doesn’t have any helpers to do that, but it’s just PHP, so you can do whatever you want.

    Otherwise you could look into accessing the RSS feeds of those other sites in pull content that way.


    You could always use the export (and then import) facility built into wordpress admin tools

    or equally with phpmyadmin if you SQL is ok. Copy the database tables to the new site and then edit the pages as you see fit, if it’s 95% the same this would probably be the quickest.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.