Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other PSD To WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Web_Dev
    Participant

I am looking for an efficient process of slicing PSD Designs into a WordPress Child Theme. I have found PSD To HTML5, and than HTML5 to WordPress, but it seems like a lot of work for each client to do this workflow! Anyone know of a better way, and to do it as quickly as possible. I have spent weeks on one client, working this out.

Thank you.

Paulie_D

You can’t just push a couple of buttons and think it will all be done for you. In fact, slicing a PSD is a pretty old method. From the comments I see here, most developers work in the browser based on a PSD…only referring to it to grab colors / font-sizes etc.

There really isn’t a ‘streamlined’ process like that.

WP Themes require you to have a grasp of how HTML & CSS come together in distinct portions / sections and to account for different browsers and operating systems.

The same, to a lesser extent, is true of converting a PSD to HTML. A PSD design will probably only be a one image design.

How will that design react a different widths, on different devices, on different platforms…is there any requirement for that at all?

How long would it normally take you to convert a standard PSD to a static / responsive site?…Once you have that down, my understanding is that converting that to a WP Theme is somewhat easier…but then I’m not a WP guy.

Senff
    Participant

You don’t have to create (static) HTML first and then move it into WordPress — you can skip that step and go straight from the PSD design to developing it in WordPress.

But yes, for a moderate to large site, that will take some work/time. I wouldn’t consider that “a lot of work”, because that’s just how much it takes.

Web_Dev
    Participant

I am trying to improve my workflow, I know I can have html5, css, js templates ready to go, but I guess I am trying to figure out what most developers do. Maybe its organizing proper folder/files, and than take the design from the designer, and get the correct dimensions to start coding, and grab images/colors/fonts when needed.

Do most developers take a design, and go right to coding for WP via the framework php files (header.php, page.php, footer.php etc…)

My process involves taking a design into html5, and let that settle, and than go into WP, and reconstruct the html5 into WP.

I guess there are too many unknowns, to allow for a streamlined factory process, where I can push websites out, without recreating the wheel every time.

Thank you.

Senff
    Participant

My process involves taking a design into html5, and let that settle, and than go into WP, and reconstruct the html5 into WP.

This is one step too many, at least for the way I do things. I code my HTML directly in WordPress.

Very simplisticly put: I first make sure WordPress is all working and functional. Then I install a theme, usually a very basic/bare one. And then I change the look and feel of the theme and make it look like the PSD.

xhtmlchamps
    Participant

If it is a medium or large sized website, it is better to follow the regular steps such as PSD to HTML and then HTML to WordPress. If it has been done by a professional you can keep the original charm of your design as it is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.