Forums

Get help. Give help. A Web Design and Development Community.

Presentational HTML – Semantically Useful or Deprecated?

• # May 27, 2008 at 9:12 am

Do you use the <small> tag in your designs? Or the <b> or <i> tags instead of <strong> or <em> anymore? I posted on my blog about this topic and I was curious to see what the rest of you thought about it.

# May 27, 2008 at 9:18 am

Using <small> is a very good way to point out the obvious – that it’s supposed to be small. Likewise for <big>. It’s also easier if you’re going to create a website that’ll work for mobile devices.

Try to turn off your CSS, and see the difference when you use <small>/<big>. If you don’t use the tags, you can disable the CSS on my weblog.

Why didn’t you mention <tt> in your blog post? Although it’s big-brother <code> rules town, the <tt>-tag is still in XHTML DTDs 8-)

# May 27, 2008 at 9:50 am
    "koewnet" wrote:
    Why didn’t you mention <tt> in your blog post? Although it’s big-brother <code> rules town, the <tt>-tag is still in XHTML DTDs 8-)

There’s definitely a whole slew of tags to get into more debate over… It’s pretty frustrating not knowing whether to use <tt>, <code>, or <pre> when showing code in a post… everyone seems to have their favorite.

box
    # May 27, 2008 at 12:40 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Its good to be aware of the semantic value of tags and make some pains to make your markup meaningful. For me if I’m writing some code, I’ll use the <code> tag. Similarly, I won’t use ‘big’ or ‘small’ as they have a visual implication and not a meaningful one – instead I use ‘strong’ and ’em’, then style them with an external stylesheet. Again, ‘tt’ has no meaning as such, so I would probably use a ‘span’ and style it with a mono-spaced font.

# May 28, 2008 at 6:46 am

<code> will usually be rendered in a monospaced font, but multiple spaces are collapsed, unlike in <pre>. This can screw up the spacing in your code if you want to provide more than one line.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We have a pretty good* newsletter.